D-Day Letter in Photo Album

thorin6

I bought my wife a photo album off ebay for Christmas because it had postcards that I thought she would like.  It arrived today and we went through it together. As it turns out it had a large bunch of WW2 pictures of an Engineer Unit that appears to have been involved in 7th Army's invasion of Southern France and fought through the war, at one point with the 100th ID.  The first thing in the album was a D-Day letter which wasn't real clear in the album pictures.  Here is a picture of it, and it appears to be real, dimensions 6 by 9 inches, three folds at the right places,, paper yellowing.  It appears it was pinned up at some point in time.  Not pristine, but in pretty good shape overall, with a couple of small tears and folds at the corners.  While I have no idea how much these letters are going for these days, I basically got it for nothing, as I was paying for the photos and postcards, and still paid less than all of them would have cost.

Any comments are welcome (I have not checked the paper with a black light, mine pooped out some years ago).

DDay Letter Small.jpg

14 hours ago, JasonT said:

Nice find, I'm curious as to what engineer unit the photos are from? Would love to see some of them if you have a chance to post a few.

One of the pictures shows a bridge built by the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion, and one picture shows a truck with the notation "7A-157E  A21."  Some of the pictures are labeled on the back "Bitche Feb 1945."  I can post some pictures later.

Nice, the 157th was all over Western Europe attached to several armies. I think they were one of the first units into Paris. They were attached to the 100th from March 17 to March 20, 1945. Anything in the album that would help you ID the vet or family it belonged to?

7 hours ago, JasonT said:

Nice, the 157th was all over Western Europe attached to several armies. I think they were one of the first units into Paris. They were attached to the 100th from March 17 to March 20, 1945. Anything in the album that would help you ID the vet or family it belonged to?

The photo's are all named on the back, multiple soldiers of A Company.  Up front is a Soldier's Individual Pay Record named with serial number and address of parents.  His name also appears a number of the photo's and his name is on a Paris Leave pamphlet.