Neat 1980s Army Replacement Set of Medals in the Original Mailing Box

Dave

I saw this group on eBay and, because I'm a medal nerd, got all excited about it. Why? Because it is a great example of several things:

1. It's an interesting replacement group, dated 1986. This means that the engraving on the Good Conduct Medal can be pinpointed down to 1986. We've seen that same engraving dated before and after 1986, but it does seem to be from the "1980s" time period, pre-dating the serif-style engraving that came out in the early 1990s. 

2. The original mailing box is still present. This is pretty cool; I've never seen a box like this before from the 1980s. And, it was sent from the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, prior to it being shut down (I don't have an exact date for that, but I think it wasn't many years after this was sent). 

3. It's also interesting that he requested a Bronze Star, but it was not sent to him. What's odd is that I would have expected one, particularly since he spent four campaigns in theater, and most likely qualified for one based on his time and activities in theater. So, that's a little strange. 

Anyway...of the random stuff that you find...this was a pretty cool find that furthers our knowledge of what engraving styles were like on replacement medals and when things were sent from where. 

Dave

norris_vietnam_group_1.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_2.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_3.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_4.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_5.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_6.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_7.jpg

norris_vietnam_group_8.jpg

norris_vietnam_group.jpg

Looks like he passed away in 2006. His wife passed away in June 2020, so that's probably where these came from. 

Screenshot_6.jpg

Trevor Arendall

That really is a super cool group. I always get excited for the shipping boxes as well. Would you happen to know what prompted him to request a Bronze Star? 

If I’m reading the paper work correctly they didn’t issue a BSM because his official record was missing the GO for it. That doesn’t necessarily mean he didn’t receive one, only that his record was incomplete.

3 hours ago, Kadet said:

If I’m reading the paper work correctly they didn’t issue a BSM because his official record was missing the GO for it. That doesn’t necessarily mean he didn’t receive one, only that his record was incomplete.

Andy - Good point. That's why he probably thought he had one, but since the paperwork wasn't there, they didn't issue him a replacement. The group came with a boxed ARCOM dated 1970, so I assume he was awarded that as well (it's not named though). 

59 minutes ago, 67Rally said:

Did you purchase this, Dave? Or did you just share the details of the eBay listing?

Nope. I own it. One of those groups that will shortly pass along to a new home...just cool to own it in order to add to our collective knowledge of engraving styles and shipping boxes (I know...super nerd here...) :D 

20 hours ago, Dave said:

Nope. I own it. One of those groups that will shortly pass along to a new home...just cool to own it in order to add to our collective knowledge of engraving styles and shipping boxes (I know...super nerd here...) :D 

Yes. You are the only one of those around here. 

Nice to snag. I find that some pieces with a unique twist like this are quite enjoyable to have.