M1C local find

Yellowkid

Hi folks -- new to the forum and first post. in fact I registered so that I could share this find with the right audience, and hopefully learn a bit more about it. My wife found this at a local estate/garage sale and brought it to my attention. I collect Imperial German militaria, and am a regular on the WAF, and posted this a while back (perhaps some of you saw it there), but again figured this was a better place for it. first, the folks at WAF said it was a wartime liner (cast buckles I believe) and steel pot (heat treat numbers?), but post-war used. I did do as much research as I could including searching posts here, and here's what I think I've got. the painted insignia are for the 325th Glider Infantry regiment, and only applied post war. they did occupation duty in Germany, and also were still active in the US (including some time at Ft. Dix nearby I read somewhere?). They were deactivated in 1947 according to one site. As you can see the OD paint is a second coat presumably over the wartime finish? and I assume done when the insignia were also applied? The liner decoration is basically scratched in to the paint, and looks like the 325th crest (?) I've seen on line in my research. Also I understand that the glider troops did not wear M1C's during the war. the trooper's name was Henry Meller jr., from Cliffside Park, NJ -- a few towns away from me. I bought it from his nephew, who simply said "my uncle was a paratrooper. I used to play army with that helmet when I was a kid". As to its authenticity, this is exactly as I found it, and I paid $50 for it, so no scammer there. AS to my motives, I am not looking to sell, since frankly I'm a big fan of all things militaria and US airborne (my brother was in the 10th SF and made two jumps for the film "A Bridge Too Far") and it's already got a nice spot on the shelf! I hope to research the trooper but his name is all I have -- no service number. MY guess is that he enlisted, got in late and did post war service. but might he have served in the war and also post-war? thanks for any input you might have. Have too say it's really become a favorite. 

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

All the above!

I love that artwork on the liner that just really puts it over the top.

Did you find anything else that helps you ID the original owner?

thanks all yeah its just a very neat piece. oddly there war really no other 82nd/325th stuff with it. the nephew was selling a pile of "military stuff" of his uncle's and father's (his father had served in the navy and was the trooper's brother) that the helmet was part of. there were three M43 jackets but none with anything sewn on. no uniform items at all. a copy of his manual as a Civil Air Patrol Cadet was included, and also a book "How to get along in the Army" that he checked out of the Cliffside Park, NJ HS library in March '43 (and never returned) were thrown in. but the nephew said that's all he had. Wish it were a proper grouping but at least it's a nice piece and with a name I can try and run down. 

Awesome helm dude. And a fellow Jersey boy. Don’t want to post an ad here but the german helmet seller Ken N has one of these for sale w the same unit marking. Been on his site for awhile now. But can’t beat $50 and a local find!  Also has “the look”. Nice one 

Zach 

Thx yeah up in Bergen county!   I went to kens site but couldn’t find it - would have loved to see it.  Curious of course do you recall what he was asking? 

6 hours ago, Yellowkid said:

Thx yeah up in Bergen county!   I went to kens site but couldn’t find it - would have loved to see it.  Curious of course do you recall what he was asking? 

Oh yes. Just looked. Gone. Bummer. It was pretty mint for an M1. If memory serves me it was for $1900. It was on there a long time though. 

27 minutes ago, Yellowkid said:

Thx!

I prefer yours TBH but maybe if you email him he can share with you pics of that one just for your reference :)