M1943 Jacket "Ball of fire" with a strange name tape?

damilitariaguy

damilitariaguy

Hello!

I have had these in my collection for a few years and have always wondered about the name tapes on the wrong side of one jacket and also a (WW2?) shirt too. Anybody seen this before? I also noticed on the shirt there is a "badge" imprint on the back of the shirt. Never seen that before either. 

Thanks for any answers in advance!

20201222_213353.jpg

20201222_213740.jpg

20201222_214001.jpg

20201222_213520.jpg

20201222_213749.jpg

20201222_214121.jpg

20201222_214107.jpg

20201222_213545.jpg

NAME Tapes of a wide variety start to be worn on that side in late-sh 1951, first in Korea, then Army Wide, it is moved to the other side in very late 1953, more like early 1954 really with the advent of the new U.S. ARMY tape.

Here's an example, see how this one is Stenciled on White!, one of many varieties seen then, but this was by far the most common, White Tape, like Engineer Tape.

image.png.de3235619f66a4d02bee05404dcd7c2e.png

image.png.f9e8ac23eda18bb1631a69838b3a9d43.png

damilitariaguy

Very interesting! Thanks for all the info.

Do you guess the name tapes were done stateside or overseas?

As always you guys are the best.

10 hours ago, damilitariaguy said:

Very interesting! Thanks for all the info.

Do you guess the name tapes were done stateside or overseas?

As always you guys are the best.

With this particular tape FASCHER, it will be done in Korea, as it is from a 40th Division GI, hand embroidered on a piece of OD HBT cloth, cut from either a HBT shirt or pants, item it was cut from probably an unservicable item just cut up for scrap etc.

Captainofthe7th

The shirt looks like OG 107 which would be 1953 issue at the earliest.  The only reference I have on hand for early OG issue is my grandfather's DD189 Individual Clothing Record which has OG 107 items type written in on 24 Dec 1953.  Mostly HBTs were still in use at that time, so I find the OG unusual.  The field jacket is awesome.

I don't see a lot for Fascher.  A guy from Iowa who's obit says Army service...nothing definitive for 40th Div in a quick search.

Rob

damilitariaguy
1 minute ago, Captainofthe7th said:

The shirt looks like OG 107 which would be 1953 issue at the earliest.  The only reference I have on hand for early OG issue is my grandfather's DD189 Individual Clothing Record which has OG 107 items type written in on 24 Dec 1953.  Mostly HBTs were still in use at that time, so I find the OG unusual.  The field jacket is awesome.

I don't see a lot for Fascher.  A guy from Iowa who's obit says Army service...nothing definitive for 40th Div in a quick search.

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob! I am actually from here in iowa so I bet you found our guy!

Shirt still makes me wonder too.

Thanks!

Captainofthe7th

Is there a ghost from a 1st Cav patch on the jacket with the nametape?  I found newspaper articles noting Kenneth Fascher with 1st Cav in Korea from October 1951 and then Hokkaido.  He returned to Iowa in early January, so probably left the Far East in December 1952.  The January 1952 roster lists him with F Co. 7th Cav.

Is the 40th Div coat marked in anyway to link it to the other two?  This info makes the set a bit more curious, especially that OG shirt.  With that ghost of the badge on the back, though, I wonder if it wasn't a surplus purchase later on.

Rob