MG-08 water can

robinb

• 2 weeks later...
EmperorWangDong

I have one just like this, I thought it was a one off! I'll post photos as soon as I am able to dig it out, but stenciling is the same. Very neat.

15 hours ago, EmperorWangDong said:

I have one just like this, I thought it was a one off! I'll post photos as soon as I am able to dig it out, but stenciling is the same. Very neat.

They used to be fairly common finds, I have owned several over the years.  One of my primary collecting interest is in Maxims and their accessories.  Last I sold was identical to the one in the original post however you could see the faded name of an oil company in the markings.

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

That’s great.

I love equipment like this.

Notice that they have different screw caps.

There are a number of variations, we started a photo album to highlight the differences on my MG08 Study Group Facebook page.

EmperorWangDong
21 hours ago, 101CH47 said:

This is the one I sold a few years ago, kick myself for doing so ever since.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

Interesting that yours is stenciled St. Michael - mine is just like the original posters, St. Mihiel.

I've heard that the gold paint was indicative of a souvenir being on display at a VFW hall. I've seen Patton swords and Mausers painted gold.

8 minutes ago, robinb said:

I've heard that the gold paint was indicative of a souvenir being on display at a VFW hall. I've seen Patton swords and Mausers painted gold.

Every one of these gold condensing cans I have looked at have a VFW story connected to them.