A years worth of 34th Division patches, and I didn't get them all

ASMIC2971

At SoS this past year a friend made a wager to me, being the gambler that I am I had to take him up on it.  The bet was that I could not find thirty four unique 34th Division patches and tabs for my collection by the end of the year, the stakes were a bottle of bourbon at the next SoS.  I'm currently waiting on #35 to make its way in the mail, and I'm not to sure on one if its a good piece or not so in the end I may end up with only thirty four, but that's still a completed task for me.  As a point of clarification on some, the tabs and the patch that came with it would count as two separate pieces providing I didn't have an example already.  The 135th Infantry BOS also counted since its cloth and a subordinate unit of the 34th Division.

I just may have to try this again in 2021, it was fun chasing after one Division but I'm beginning to doubt that I could find another thirty four unique Red Bulls.  I was also able to pick up a wide variety of other 34th Division related items, I've only included the two best photos as they show some distinct patches being worn.  Very few of these came from a show, the only show I attended in 2020 was SOS.  The rest came from eBay and networking with other collectors.

First up the World War I era pieces.  Last photo bottom left is the one I'm not 100% sure on.  It came from a seller I've bought alot of WWII/1950s era insignia from and I wont it on eBay for pretty cheap.

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

The WWII era pieces, most are Italian theater made.  The red bordered one is on a red scarf and the direct embroidered one is also on a scarf.

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

A few of the modern era Red Bull pieces.  The desert subdued one has velcro sewn to the reverse and came on a modified DCU.  This was probably worn on the coming home uniform of a Red Bull from 2005ish era when modified uniforms were the rage. 

The one of the right is an unknown piece that popped up in a BIN lot on eBay.

IMG_6524.jpg

Some of the pieces I got are still on the uniforms.  This first one is the result of going to shows and talking with other collectors at the show.  While at SOS I was talking with a few collectors and one remembered I was into 34th Division pieces, he put me in touch with a collector and we were able to work out a deal for this Ike as well as the two scarves mentioned earlier.  Nearly every other piece of insignia on this Ike is theater made too.  The right sleeve has a bullion 88th Division patch and Italy tab as well.

IMG_6509.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Great pieces, love the ww2 ones. I also collect 34th divs. Well your lucky you didn't have to find 99 different 99th div patches.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

My first right sleeve 34th Division Ike came about in 2020 as well.  I was able to obtain this from a local seller and collector after lusting after it for a number of years.  Arthur J Peterson was from Minnesota and an artilleryman in the 34th Division.  During WWII he rose to the rank of Colonel and was awarded a LOM for creating counter mortar SOP for the Division and rest of 5th Army.  After WWII he would serve with the 24th Division in Korea, tragically he passed away when his plane crashed in 1953 on the way to Japan.  

IMG_6510.jpg

Two more uniforms from the modern era.  First is a named piece to a current 1 star General in the 34th Division.  This BDU is from his time as a Company Commander in 135th Infantry around their time of a Kosovo rotation c. 2004ish.  

The other Class A uniform is arguable one of the rarest 34th Division units to find today.  While there have been plenty of members in the 194th LRSD what makes this piece even better is that fact that the uniform is bookended with 34th Division and Airborne patches which was only worn by those on the 194th LRSD who deployed to Iraq in 2004-2005.  Less than 60 members of the unit were on that rotation, this one came from a local store and I have been in contact with the guy whose it was.IMG_6511.jpg.d3d9117d953728dd237ab1584bb212a7.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

And finally the last two insignia related pieces are these WWI era photo and RPPC.  

In the end I missed out or was outbid on a number of other patches and uniforms for the 34th Division this year, but for what I was able to pick up I am very happy with the outcome of 2020 collecting wise.  I hope everyone had a great year collecting and look forward to seeing my fellow collectors in 2021.

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

Congrats Drew, glad to have helped with the quest,think i see atleast one I sold to you. Really an exceptional display of what I am sure is only a small part of the total. Now the question is which bourbon do you drink? Thanks for taking the time to show such great items.

Mort

Jaw dropping herd of bulls you have there! I've been dreaming about that 109th cutoff ever since you first shared it. 

Your years worth of collecting 34th stuff has certainly put my 2 years to shame! Congrats on the fantastic year and I look forward to your finds of 2021!

-John

post-163178-0-59401400-1535399917.jpg

ASMIC -

Wow, this is very impressive - great job.  Interesting to think if you did 1st Infantry Division you could probably fine 1,000 variants!  :)  

I would love to see more pics of the 34th/88th Class A!  Is it named by chance?  That looks like a superb piece and 2 great combat divisions!  Does it look as if the two patches and tabs were made at the same time/by the same person?  

Very best,

Bill K.

3 hours ago, ASMIC2971 said:

Some of the pieces I got are still on the uniforms.  This first one is the result of going to shows and talking with other collectors at the show.  While at SOS I was talking with a few collectors and one remembered I was into 34th Division pieces, he put me in touch with a collector and we were able to work out a deal for this Ike as well as the two scarves mentioned earlier.  Nearly every other piece of insignia on this Ike is theater made too.  The right sleeve has a bullion 88th Division patch and Italy tab as well.

IMG_6509.jpg

That is a seriously cool patch combination.

Can we see the whole jacket ?

Bill The Patch - better yet, at least I didn't have to find 101 101st Airborne, would have cost a kidney at least!

Mort - One from you directly, others I believe you had at one point before.  As for the bourbon, my favorite is the one in front of me.  Based on the bet I may ask for 4 Roses, ha.

John4022 - Keep looking their still out there trust me.

Bellumbill/Manayunkman - will get around to it, probably in the uniform section.  Its not named, the tie has a laundry stamp but know knows.  

George - I still have some other pictures to send to you, don't worry I haven't forgotten

Clete - thanks, cant wait for Urban Growler to open again

ParaOps & Skysoldier - thanks!

You were not joking when you told me there were still many great variations of this patch out there. Congrats on these finds! I'll continue to keep an eye out for you. Stay safe up north!