Hello from central Arkansas

cannon jockey

cannon jockey

I've accumulated, er--ah, excuse me--collected militaria and other "antiques" for over 65 years now.   It all started with playing army as a kid in the 1950s.   I just turned 75 in November.  Anyway there was a great Army-Navy surplus store in our small town and any time my mom or dad took me to town with them, the first place I went was to the Army-Navy store to shop for web gear.  This was at a time in our society when parents in my part of the South didn't worry about turning a 10 year old loose to wander around downtown.   Of course our town was only about double the size of Mayberry.

I'd usually have a couple of dollars saved from doing chores or my allowance.  One could get a nice WW II web belt, canteen with cover all for about $1.50.   A first aid pouch for another .50 cents.

They had buckets filled with bayonets for maybe $3 each and several walls covered in surplus rifles--most for less than $25 each.  A helmet liner for a buck or two was also a must.  Of course at that age, my folks forbid me to bring a bayonet home but since we used sticks for our rifles and sub machine guns, it didn't matter.  Unfortunately, old habits are hard to kick and since retirement 12 years ago, I added a lot of stuff to the pile.

Glad to be here and look forward to posting some of my "finds" and admiring those of others. 

Cheers

Welcome and Merry Christmas! Can't wait to see some of your fun stuff! Sounds like you had a fun childhood! Wish I could go to that surplus store! :)

Old Crow 1986
2 hours ago, cannon jockey said:

look forward to posting some of my "finds" and admiring those of others. 

Don't be shy about posting some of your "finds" - no matter what they are you'll find someone who shares your appreciation for your treasures.

Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to an "old soldier" here in my home state.  Memories of past finds flood my mind, like what I now know must have been a Chauchat machine gun hanging over the door of a local second hand store.  If I remember correctly the owner ask $50, and my dad wasn't in agreement with me on this deal.  He had just paid $1,600 for a new 1956 chevy pickup.  I also made some good hauls back then, although $5 for a WWII German M42 combat helmet was a "big" purchase, and had to pass on a bin of Span-Am era Mills belts for about $2 per belt, and then there were these..................  Anyway, Welcome!