HS-33 Headset Disassembly

gap

Okay, so I know I will likely catch hell for even contemplating this, but here goes.  I recently picked up a HS-33 headset with ANB-H-1 receivers and PL-354 jack.  I am in need of the receivers and wiring loom for a AN-H-15 flight helmet display and have no use for the HB-7 headband.  Is there a way to remove the wiring loom from the headband so that I can use the headphones/loom in the flight helmet?  I hate to ruin the headband, but it is in rough condition anyway and like I said I only need the receivers and loom.

The loom on the HS-33 is totally different from what was used on flight helmets, although the receivers are the same. To disassemble the headset, you can apply some pressure to the inside of the metal yoke that holds each receiver in place. They are only held in place by a pin on each side of the yoke. There are two small screws on each receiver that hold the leads from the loom in place. Loosen the screws and you can pull the wires right out. If you still want to remove the loom, you need to use the flat blade of a screwdriver to open up the metal tabs that hold the wires in place on the HB-7, then split a seam on the two leather bands to fully remove the loom. The previous steps are easily reversible, but obviously, the splitting of the seams on the leather parts is not and would require re-stitching. 

Thank you sir! Can you explain the difference in the looms.

Also, how are the receivers detached from the loom/headband in the event I don’t want to destroy the headband. Would like to make it reversible if possible but still need the receivers.  Do you simply pull out the wires from the receivers? Is there a screw that’s holds the wires in place? 

As mentioned above, "There are two small screws on each receiver that hold the leads from the loom in place. Loosen the screws and you can pull the wires right out."

On the HS-33, the two individual wires are separated where they go inside the leather covers. On the loom for the ANB-H-1s, when used on a fight helmet, they are braided together and have an outer fabric covering. 

images.jpg

1.jpg

I would leave a Hs-33 headset and try to buy a proper ANB-H-1 earphones separately. 

I guess there is somewhere a photo of AAF pilot who have attached a Hs-33 headset to the helmet like this USN pilot:

image.png.e702511b5a0d793d8ed3b545f59dd621.png