Named WAAC/WAC/WAF CBI Theater, Link Trainer Instuctor

bertmedals

I normally do not collect WW2 militaria but saw this group at a local estate sale that was being auctioned online last week.  It was divided into 2 separate lots and the person it belonged to was not identified.  I contacted the auction manager and got a tentative ID – Cora L. Jerrow. Based on that and some basic research I decided to bid aggressively on both lots in the hopes of winning them both and preserving the group, and that I would be able to make a positive ID. I won both and as it turned out, several of the items were named.

Cora L. Jerrow was born in 1914.  She was a graduate of Muskingum College and Kent State University.  She enrolled in the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) soon after its establishment in 1942 and enlisted in the Women’s Army Corps in July 1943 immediately after its creation.  During WW2 she was one of only 400 WACs assigned to the China-Burma-India theater.  Following the war she joined the Women’s Air Force (WAF) reserves and rose to the rank of Master Sergeant being at one point a First Sergeant in the 9534th Air Reserve Squadron (per March 1954 “The Air Reservist” magazine).  She also was a link trainer instructor and according to her Obituary (Akron Beacon Journal, Nov 7, 1998) she was one of the first women to train jet pilots on the link trainer.  She was also a schoolteacher and elementary school principal in the Akron, Ohio public school system.

Cora Jerrow was very active in the American Legion and was the first woman to be an American Legion post commander in the State of Ohio.

She died in November 1998 with her home and contents remaining in the family until last week’s auction.

The grouping consists of:
1.    WAAC enrollment button
2.    Boxed American Defense Service Medal with lapel pin (I’m pretty sure she was not authorized this medal)
3.    Boxed American Campaign Medal with ribbon bar
4.    Boxed Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with ribbon bar
5.    Boxed WW2 Victory Medal with ribbon bar
6.    A second boxed WW2 Victory medal (no ribbon bar)
7.    Boxed Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Air Force
8.    Army Good Conduct Medal named to Cora L. Jerrow in top half of box with lapel pin and ribbon bar
9.    WAC Service Medal
10.    Two 2-place ribbon bars for the Army Good Conduct and WAC Service medals (one is a Wolf Brown)
11.    Link Trainer Instructor badge (sterling)
12.    Mini Air Corps pin (sterling)
13.    WAC Vets medallion on chain (necklace)
14.    American Legion Convention medal 
15.    Woman’s American Legion overseas type cap with several past commander and long service pins and County Commander tapes – named inside to Cora L. Jerrow
Several pictures follow.

The first pictures show the complete grouping, the medal boxes, and her WAAC Enrollee pin. 

FYI – I picked up a WWI USMC grouping for an Ohio Marine at another local auction and I will post that in a couple of days.
Dennis

20201221_161726 3.jpg

20201221_162901 3.jpg

20201221_161935 3.jpg

11 minutes ago, warguy said:

Nice, thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing your WWI Marine grouping! 

Thank you.  I need to get some pictures of the Marine grouping and do a little more research and then I'll post it.

10 hours ago, Matt-M said:

Very pleased that you were able to preserve her effects intact. Congratulations on a great grouping!

Thanks very much.

I meant to post Cora Jerrow's obituary with the pictures.  Here it is, a little late.  In addition to her military service she made many contributions to the local community in a variety of ways.

Dennis

Akron Beacon Journal, Nov 7, 1998, Page B5

"Cora L. Jerrow died November 5, 1998.

Born in Ellsworth, Ohio, Feb. 17, 1914, she was a graduate of Muskingum College and Kent State University, and had lived in the Akron
area since World War II. She served four years in military service during World War II as a member of the WAAC, WAC and WAF, seeing
active duty in the Army Air Force in the China, Burma,India theaters. She retired in 1974 with the rank of M/Sgt. from the Air Force
Reserves. Miss Jerrow was the first woman in Ohio to be elected Commander of an American Legion Post, and among the first women to
train jet fighter pilots during the Second World War. Following her military service, Miss Jerrow was employed by the Akron Public
Schools, first as a teacher and later as principal in the elementary schools until her retirement. She was a member of the National
Education Association, Ohio Educational Association, Summit County Retired Teachers Association, Akron College Club, Fairlawn AARP,
Rockynol Auxiliary, Beta Mu Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, and Lambda Conclave of Kappa Kappa Iota. She was a member of
Cuyahoga Falls United Presbyterian Church, where she served as a Deacon and Elder. She traveled extensively all her life, giving
travelogues for many local civic groups. She contributed volunteer time to many local organizations, among them, Ronald McDonald
House and Rockynol."

1 hour ago, cutiger83 said:

Very nice! Thank you for keeping her medals and other items together!

...Kat

Kat,

Thank you for that.  She was also somewhat of an amature artist.   I did not bid on them but the estate had several figuines she made that were signed.

Dennis

Great dedication to a wonderful woman.

I missed this thread and I'm glad you brought it back up.

Those ladies were something Special.

Semper Fi

Phil

On 12/23/2020 at 12:24 PM, AZPhil said:

Great dedication to a wonderful woman.

I missed this thread and I'm glad you brought it back up.

Those ladies were something Special.

Semper Fi

Phil

Thanks again Phil. I'm posting the WW1 grouping I mentioned in Cora Jerrow's thread shortly.

Dennis

On 12/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, warguy said:

Nice, thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing your WWI Marine grouping! 

I just posted the Marine group in the Grouping section.