WW1 USMC collar disc $$$$$$$$$$$$

just-a-good-ole-boy

Certainly a non-reg piece but could be vintage or fantasy. Before the USMC collar disks were provided a Marine might have wanted to show his pride by wearing such a piece. To make it believable, I would have to see original photographic evidence of a Marine wearing such an insignia. The asking price? well, that's another story!!!!!!

Having said that, last year I obtained some out-of-the-woodwork WWI USMC photos and insignia belonging to a member of the 5th Marines in France & Germany and included were 2 pairs of collar disks each consisting of an Army "US" and a left-side USMC disk. There was no photo evidence showing the Marine wearing them but there they were, in his stuff.

Semper Fi.......Bob

I'm a big fan of the non-reg and oddball US stuff from WWI, and there's a lot of it. There's also tons of new-made fantasy pieces floating around that are pretty amusing. The stories that come with some of the new "crap" are amazing. As a collector though I really need to see proof that something was worn during the war or shortly after during the occupation. Photos, solid provenance...things like that. A high price tag just doesn't convince me one way or the other. In this case, I think I'll enjoy looking at the item without buying it.

Mark

The nice shiny brass nut he displays with the emblem certainly isn't correct for WWI collar disks. Also, the finish on the reverse looks awfully clean. Don't like!!

Steve

teufelhunde.ret
To make it believable, I would have to see original photographic evidence of a Marine wearing such an insignia. The asking price? well, that's another story!!!!!!

Semper Fi.......Bob

Well Bob & Steve have hit the nail on the head - not too much can be added that is not already in ref. sec. thread - but - we do have another thread going at this time on another set of fakes: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=35128&hl=

s/f Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it is a reunion item. Manions has been trying to peddle a set now for quite a while. Price, IIRC was around 300 bucks for both

There was a set of these at the Miller estate auction in Gettysburg. Sold over a few hundred if I remember correctly, and they struck me as fakes at the time. Looking up close, the ones I saw, the EGA look just like the sweetheart EGA jewelry items you see on eBay from time to time, and they'd been soldered on to what looked like an original WWI Army disk.

teufelhunde.ret
There was a set of these at the Miller estate auction in Gettysburg. Sold over a few hundred if I remember correctly, and they struck me as fakes at the time. Looking up close, the ones I saw, the EGA look just like the sweetheart EGA jewelry items you see on eBay from time to time, and they'd been soldered on to what looked like an original WWI Army disk.

DITTO - the photo's were of a set of these nearly identical in features.