A rack-o-packs

bheskett

A rack of packs. Here is my Modael 1910/28 haversack display. the correcponidn cartridge belt is hung next to the pack. Dates are 1912, 14,15, 16, 16 ,17, 18, 18, 18, 41, 42, and 42.

IMG_20201221_113021545.jpg

IMG_20201221_113027468.jpg

IMG_20201221_113031485.jpg

IMG_20201221_113038331.jpg

IMG_20201221_113053747.jpg

IMG_20201221_113057861.jpg

That is one impressive chronological lineup of the "Long Packs"!!! I try to match dates on all my Pack rigs and display them in chronological order as well; sometimes that takes a while. 👍 👍 👍 

That's a really cool display! Love how they hang there so you can see them, and the belts next to each one really look nice! Someone who is really into these probably will laugh at me, but it is really cool to see Pre-Great War to Mid-WWII . . .they really changed remarkably little!

5 hours ago, bheskett said:

That will be great to see.

Going through the Army stuff, the main stationary, visible chronological Pack display is down in the southeast corner of the living room.

Mountain/Ski/Arctic gear, with Rucksacks as the central pieces: '41 with 1/4" rod frame at right, '42 tube frame in the center, and '43 pack on the left.

All attachments- Canteens, Entrenching Shovels, etc.. are dated correspondingly. M1941 Stove is also on the right, and a 1943 on the left.

The 1943 Shovel was given to me by my Grandfather when I was about 9 (first piece of surplus I ever had!); the Canteen was Dad's for hunting and camping, and its Cup was mine in the Scouts.

Mountain display #3B USMFB.JPG

Here are our old Canteen (Vollrath 1943) and tinned steel Cup (Foley 1943), resting from many a hard mile on the trail. 😊 

Canteen (Dad)& Cup, original #1 USMFB.JPG

I have always had a hard time figuring out how to display packs.  Your idea is quite good and might be something I make in the future.  Thank you for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 8:11 AM, Nkomo said:

I have always had a hard time figuring out how to display packs.  Your idea is quite good and might be something I make in the future.  Thank you for sharing.

My preferred method of "Gear on the Rack" is improvised hangers, with hooks oriented according to the hanging mode. This way, I can take down a Pack, Belt rig, etc. and tweak it as desired without undoing any of the suspension. However, one can't measure up to the excellent, clean display the Bob has set up.

M1936 Field Bags in chronological order; 1945 at the front and going back to 1921 at the rear, with different variants in between. 

Gear on the rack #2 USMFB.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Love those packs and belts dyed to #7 olive drab, you don't see them all that much anymore.

3 hours ago, P-40Warhawk said:

Love those packs and belts dyed to #7 olive drab, you don't see them all that much anymore.

I've been blessed with a small handful of the redyes through the years...historically significant and besides, they're just neat!!

Redyed gear #1 USMFB.JPG