Early McCord For Opinions

gap

Recent acquisition.  Front seam, fixed bail, McCord with 36C heat lot number. Raised brass bar chin strap and pointed brass hook.  Thoughts on the desert tan paint? 

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

13 hours ago, gap said:

The stainless rim rusted?  Not likely.  It's definitely an applied finish. 

Maybe its my old eyes.  And yes the underside is very green.  Well if that's the case ... it doesn't look to me to be added yesterday or anything so could be a nice period applied camo. 

Z

Burning Hazard

Very nice Plain Jane fixed bail!

Hard to tell from the photos but the shell does appear to have a second coat of OD paint on it with some surface rust (stored in moist area). I've owned several wartime, late war, and post-war repainted M1's and all the paints vary between them; some were closer to Tan while some were dark OD, whatever paint was on hand was used.

Pat

10 minutes ago, Burning Hazard said:

Very nice Plain Jane fixed bail!

Hard to tell from the photos but the shell does appear to have a second coat of OD paint on it with some surface rust (stored in moist area). I've owned several wartime, late war, and post-war repainted M1's and all the paints vary between them; some were closer to Tan while some were dark OD, whatever paint was on hand was used.

Pat

Pat, in person you can tell it’s definitely a coat of paint and not rust. As stated, color is close to khaki/ OD3.  

I know it’s a very long shot, but I was hoping it might be painted for desert use, e.g. North Africa! 

Would a 2 inch net be out of place for display purposes? 

3 hours ago, gap said:

Super early McCord with unusual paint and None of our experts have a comment????  It’s be xmas shopping. 

Sorry to be that guy, but the helmet's heat stamp is not actually as early as you think. There is a faint number between the 6 and the C. From your first photo it looked like it was a 4, however your last photo shows the top "curved" portion of a 1. This would be consistent with the later style fixed loops. As for the repaint, I don't think it's fake or something done recently. As for whether it was intended to be a wartime camouflage, I doubt it. It was more likely depot done with a spray gun sometime after the war.

I've overlaid it with another McCord heat stamp with a 1 in it. As you can see, it's a perfect match. Think of it this way, if this were actually a 1941 McCord, there would be no gap between the 6 and the C, there'd be an additional number following the C, it would have the early style fixed loops, and a cast brass chinstrap buckle - all of which are not present on this example.

Collage.png

Hard to argue with that Grant! Thanks for the correction, disappointing as it may be! Still a fairly early fixed bail for considerably less than $100. 

Merry Christmas to all! 

34 minutes ago, gap said:

Hard to argue with that Grant! Thanks for the correction, disappointing as it may be! Still a fairly early fixed bail for considerably less than $100. 

Merry Christmas to all! 

I agree; definitely worth the $100! Merry Christmas to you as well!