Night desert helmet cover

kammo-man

I have a soft spot for the night camouflage desert pattern as it’s like nothing before or since.

Here’s a mint helmet cover for a M -1 dated 82 right at the end of its service life.

owen 

F8BF6518-EB9E-428F-A5B3-0F4BF76B29F0.jpeg

4344770B-4624-4086-9F84-A7472F1CC160.jpeg

64ADA571-3A99-4696-B9C7-16234FFEACFB.jpeg

2FB1D274-A283-4FA3-95DA-C3AAF1DDBCBF.jpeg

95EDD522-2903-4F72-B963-3770A716DEE4.jpeg

6 hours ago, kammo-man said:

I have a soft spot for the night camouflage desert pattern as it’s like nothing before or since.

Here’s a mint helmet cover for a M -1 dated 82 right at the end of its service life.

owen 

F8BF6518-EB9E-428F-A5B3-0F4BF76B29F0.jpeg

4344770B-4624-4086-9F84-A7472F1CC160.jpeg

64ADA571-3A99-4696-B9C7-16234FFEACFB.jpeg

2FB1D274-A283-4FA3-95DA-C3AAF1DDBCBF.jpeg

95EDD522-2903-4F72-B963-3770A716DEE4.jpeg

Covers   Boonie hats  Bdus all came out in night pattern for a hot second in the early 8os as after market

within a couple of years they were gone 

Owen 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Same company made both woodland and 6 color desert M1 covers with the same bogus NSN and PII.

This is probably the closest there ever came to an official night desert helmet cover, to me it looks like a scrap of cloth with no tailoring stretched over the experimental PASGT. 

commonwealth_xd07hc67z_accessFull.jpg.979dc92fa75381bb844a0521a6977d70.jpg

Natick photo, February 16th 1978, shared by digital commonwealth

As I recall, the only "official" issue items were the parka (super warm and comfy) and overpants (useless).

Also, if someone can explain the logic behind a brimmed hat, sun (boonie) in night desert camo, I'd love to hear it. 

3 hours ago, GeneralCheese said:

Is it true that it took so long to develop this camo the NV it was meant to defeat was already outdated?

I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. The parkas (and the reversible DCU/NDC parka especially) lived on with SpecOps through the early 90s at least, and it was over a decade old by then.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:16 AM, ArchangelDM said:

I’m confused is this real or not ? As I’ve never seen one and it looks kinda cool !

So is the number bogus or are these USGI ?

14 hours ago, MattS said:

I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. The parkas (and the reversible DCU/NDC parka especially) lived on with SpecOps through the early 90s at least, and it was over a decade old by then.

Trying to understand what you're saying.  The parkas were issued to more than just SpecOps in the early 90's, no?  These were fairly widespread within the Air Force and Army in Desert Storm, 90/91.  

43 minutes ago, bigschuss said:

Trying to understand what you're saying.  The parkas were issued to more than just SpecOps in the early 90's, no?  These were fairly widespread within the Air Force and Army in Desert Storm, 90/91.  

Still have mine. AF issue

1 hour ago, bigschuss said:

Yeah, that wasn't very clear. The NDC pattern was over a decade old by the early 90s. NDC parkas were widespread issue during DS but were rarely seen after 1993-ish except by SpecOps units that used them (and the reversible one) through the 90s and beyond. I think there's even some early OIF photos showing them in use. Most NDC and DBDU (6-color chocolate chip) items seemed to have been withdrawn from service by 1993/94, replaced by the 3-color DCU. 

I have to take issue with MattS calling the night camo overpants useless. We wore them A LOT in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield and Storm as PAJAMA pants. 😆 Most of the men and women in my unit slept in them! The parka with the button in liner was a FANTASTIC piece of clothing. It was soft and warm and we wore these constantly during the day and night, or would wear a field jacket liner under our Desert BDU blouses. It is cold in the desert in December through February.

Allan

13 hours ago, Paulruss said:

Still have mine. AF issue

Yes...me too.  Not the pants though.  Sold them on Ebay way back in the late 90's, along with one of my 3 sets of atropine auto-injectors.  

12 hours ago, MattS said:

Yeah, that wasn't very clear. The NDC pattern was over a decade old by the early 90s. NDC parkas were widespread issue during DS but were rarely seen after 1993-ish except by SpecOps units that used them (and the reversible one) through the 90s and beyond. I think there's even some early OIF photos showing them in use. Most NDC and DBDU (6-color chocolate chip) items seemed to have been withdrawn from service by 1993/94, replaced by the 3-color DCU. 

Got it.  I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, I agree...the 6 color DBDU and the night desert stuff was out of service around 93 or so.  

• 2 weeks later...