Military Watch Repair?

Yuri Bezmenov

Yuri Bezmenov

Hello, all. 

Back in the early 80's my late uncle enrolled in a watch repair program at the local community college. He was paralyzed from the waist down due to a motorcycle wreck and spent a lot of time tinkering with his watch collection and running a small watch repair business out of his home. During his time at the community college, the state brought in a bunch of government issued watches for the students to work on. Let's just say that a lot of these busted surplus watches ended up in my uncle's collection. Most were military watches from WWII up until the post-Vietnam War era. He had everything - Bulova, Benrus, Hamilton. the green plastic "disposable" kind, etc. He even ended up with a super rare issued Vietnam UDT/Navy SEAL dive watch - a Benrus Type II Class B. 

When he passed away he was kind enough to give me his collection of military watches. Many worked, many did not. I ended up selling nearly all of them - including the Benrus SEAL watch which brought an amazing sum even though it wasn't working 100% (the stem wouldn't seat flush when pushed in). 

Anyway, I did end up keeping one of the watches. It's a standard USGI metal Hamilton from 1972. Now it is in need of repair. I would like to get it completely overhauled and also repaint the glow-in-the-dark "lume" on the numbers and hands. Since there were so many of this model watch produced, parts shouldn't be hard to find. The design is also pretty simple - which is why they were given to watch repair students to work on in the first place. 

Has anyone here ever sent off any of their military watches off for repair? If so, can you recommend a shop where I might be able to get this thing worked on? Since it's the only one I chose to keep I really would like it to be functional. 

Thanks! 

I have attached a pic of what the watch looks like though the one in the photo isn't mine. I need pins and a strap for mine, also.  

watch.jpg

It’s good that you’re being conscientious as to whom you will take it to.  There are some nuances to these issue watches, that can befuddle those at the bench.  In particular, I have seen a number of mutilated backs, where “repairmen” were trying to open the case on a front-loader.  

I think the model you’ve pictured may be one of those.