Check this out...

Bring two thing to mind, some people shouldn't drink and bid, and two where are these folks when I'm selling fairly common aircrew wings.... :D

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

Well to me it looks like someone else drove up the price on the poor guy. If you look at the bidding history someone with at least a healthy amount of feedback wanted this as well.

It may be a common wing but looks like it is perfect and sometimes you want that perfect one to replace the one you have. In this case maybe the new guy did not want to be beat so it went for a very high price.

Just my 2 Cents... well that and experience since I have over paid because I got a case of "I gots to have em" :wacko:

BTW - it is nice to see another wing nut :lol:

John

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

At this point, the price isn't THAT out of line for a a sterling pin back wing in pretty good condition and in a pattern that has a lot of artistic merit. I would expect a wing like this in one of the cases of a militaria dealer to be selling in the 50-75 dollar range at a show. At the last peak of prices after the Pinks and Greens books came out, I recall seeing nice clean pin back sterling hallmarked aircrew wings selling in the 100-150$ range. I still see this particular pattern being sold by some of the more "extreme" high priced dealers trying to sell these in the $150-200 range.

Likely, if I were to find this at a flea market, I would usually not pay more than 40$ (and depending on my mood, likely 30$ would be my limit), but I am pretty cheap. So the price, as it sits right now, is pretty much in the retail range for these wings. Plus, you have a couple of guys bidding it up and maybe it can be attributed to a guy who flew in the 8th or 15th AAF--that always seems to drive up the price. Who knows?

Patrick

the detail on these is fine, the delicate design on the aircrew wings does not stand up very well to wear. These are almost perfect.

An accepted AMCRAFT pattern, in pin back...$87.00 is more than I would pay, but not entirely unreasonable.