Unknown Brassard ?

doughboy

Hi,

I got this 1st Infantry Div.Brassard from a friend and I have no clue what it is. Who of you can tell me please ,what is SG standing for ? Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_8544.JPG

Thank you for your help.So this brassard was worn by a civilian security/ guard duty which were employed by the us army - am I right ?

8 hours ago, doughboy said:

Thank you for your help.So this brassard was worn by a civilian security/ guard duty which were employed by the us army - am I right ?

These were special type brassards for duty in various units army wide, something going back to the 50s, maybe in WWII, don't know if it's still done. not usually a specific unit, just a kind of quasi permanent duty, where these brassrads and accompanying liners and sometimes even steel helmets were issued out.

image.png.9b157d6354ee6a7852219519350837d9.png

Thank you very much Gentlemen.You brought light into darkness.I searched the internet for various designations and I couldn't find anything ,much less a picture .Thank you again.

8 hours ago, doughboy said:

Thank you very much Gentlemen.You brought light into darkness.I searched the internet for various designations and I couldn't find anything ,much less a picture .Thank you again.

Always do a FORUM search doughboy when you might need info, because many times a item has been discussed before and most of the time with photos posted and or with additional links provided, whether these links are to other topics on USMF or online sites or pages germane to the talk. any other info usually is added by other interested members.

The brassard could also mean Sergeant of the Guard.  In 1967 while attending SF training at Fort Bragg, we would have down time between courses and were subject to KP or guard duty.  While on guard duty, the officer would wear an brassard/armband that had OG for Officer of the Guard when inspecting or checking the guard posts.  I don't remember if the Sergeant of the Guard wore the brassard or not.