Unknown USAF?

48MMS

Hello, attached is a patch that has stumped many over the years. I obtained it with a group of USAF Radar Squadron patches. It's previous owner Art LaMothe fails to answer my emails and so the mystery continues. I find it hard to believe that no one can ID this patch. I have tried Jerry Polder, Alec Fushi, Steindaddie, Terry Horstead to name a few. The only thing I know pretty much for sure is that it is not Canadian, or at least not RCAF T-33. Thinking it might be a DSES unit(?), but with the wealth of collectors here, I would hope the ID will be forthcoming. Thank you, Al.

post-1443-1232858329.jpg

Actually, there is something in the back of my mind that says that it is also for a USAF Radar Station unit. I'd swear I have seen it before.

Have you tried looking at usafpatches.com? Also, I believe you can post it on there as an unkown to see if anyone can ID it.

Actually, there is something in the back of my mind that says that it is also for a USAF Radar Station unit. I'd swear I have seen it before.

Have you tried looking at usafpatches.com? Also, I believe you can post it on there as an unkown to see if anyone can ID it.

So very close. I looked through my Radar Unit book and there are some units that have patches that are somewhat similar. The 626th AC&W Sq is one with a cat holding lightning bolts in one hand and a plane in the other. The 653rd AC&W Sq has something (I can't tell what it is) with the same sort of pose as the 626th.

Whatever unit it is, it sure looks like a Radar Squadron or an AC&W Squadron of some sort......

-Ski

Thank you for the help so far. I'm pretty sure it has been on USAFPatches.com before. I think in time someone will see it and Id it. For now I agree, it has to be radar/ACWS related.

Dunno if this is relevant or not, but the aircraft that fox is holding in his hand most closely resembles (I think), a T-33 Shooting Star - which could help date the image at least.

Judging from the cheesecloth backing, I'd say early sixties. I agree it is a T-33 not a F-94. I'm not up on what DSES units did, I assume they help train Radar/ACW units? Collecting is half the fun, learning about these units is the other. Thank you, Al.

Al - You're right about the role of the DSES's

They would test the capability Air Defense Identification Zones (ADIZ) by playing the role of enemy bombers. Good training for the radar scope dopes and the interceptor aircraft. When I was at MacDill in 1979, we had a new crew chief arrive who had just PCS'd from the last active duty DSES at Malmstrom, the 17th DSES ("17th Disease" as he called it). He had worked on the EB-57's there - an aircraft I had never heard of. He also mentioned they were constantly TDY.

I have the same patch and have never had a clue to it's origins. Maybe it's Navy?

~Former roommate

Al - You're right about the role of the DSES's

They would test the capability Air Defense Identification Zones (ADIZ) by playing the role of enemy bombers. Good training for the radar scope dopes and the interceptor aircraft. When I was at MacDill in 1979, we had a new crew chief arrive who had just PCS'd from the last active duty DSES at Malmstrom, the 17th DSES ("17th Disease" as he called it). He had worked on the EB-57's there - an aircraft I had never heard of. He also mentioned they were constantly TDY.

I have the same patch and have never had a clue to it's origins. Maybe it's Navy?

~Former roommate

Al, we (328th Fighter Wing - my first assignment out of basic in 1966) had about 20 T-33A's not assigned to the 326th or 71st Fighter Interceptor Squadrons, but assigned to the 328th Field Maintenance Squadron / Base Flight Section to support HQ Tenth Air Force / Central NORAD Region Tactical Evaluation requirements. I was under the understanding that ADC's Fourth Air Force / Western NORAD Region was set up the same way, But since 1st AF & 14th AF were not on bases with a full ADC fighter wing assigned, I don't know how they were organized. This could be (and this is only a possible option) a UNOFFICIAL Base Fight / TAC Eval Section - we may never know.

Terry Horstead

I agree that it is in all probablity a flight, and more than likely unoffical. I'm more caught in the fact that it has gone without an ID for so long, and that a number of collectors have it in their "unknown" pile. Thanks for the info! And to all the forum members, Terry is an absolute wealth of knowledge that has been a Godsend to my journey learning about USAF units. I truly appreciate the insights. Al.

Yes, Navy is an option. And for those of you who didn't know, Bill was my roommate at Eielson. I for the record was the one that snored. w00t.gif

Ever since those days at Eielson in 1982 Al and I have managed to get along quite well. If we were going to strangle one another, it would have happened as roommates. :lol:

Bill/Will

(I get called both, and a few other things too) ermm.gif

Dunno if this is relevant or not, but the aircraft that fox is holding in his hand most closely resembles (I think), a T-33 Shooting Star - which could help date the image at least.

It could also be, a stretch, a REALLY bad attempt to represent the RB-57?

A very bad attempt at a RB-57, but it is possible. I know they did T-33 training at Webb AFB, and I did write the museum, but nothing to date.

The T-33 was the basic ATC pilot training aircraft from 1949 to early 1960;s The last T-Bird was received by ATC in 1959 The T-37 replaced the T-33 as the primary trainer with deliveries starting in 1958, The T-33 reained in the ATC Inventory till 1966

Terry L Horstead

Hello. Received a note from Art, he never received my previous emails, so never had a chance to weigh in. However the mystery continues, he doesn't know, but thought it was radar related. Thanks Art and to everyone who has offered some insights.