Emmett A. Smith - KIA Peleliu [UPDATED Jan 2023]

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90
On 1/10/2023 at 9:44 AM, mike kelso said:

Magnificent group. Your update is well researched and a good read. 

Mike, thank you. I was finally able to do his research and it really was a labor of love. I hope I gave the Marine his due and that the community enjoys his story. 

• 8 months later...
Kurt Barickman

I have a couple of USMC Purple Heart Documents sent in flat mailers with pink cardboard stiffeners on each side for reinforcement.

Kurt

32 minutes ago, Kurt Barickman said:

I have a couple of USMC Purple Heart Documents sent in flat mailers with pink cardboard stiffeners on each side for reinforcement.

Kurt

Kurt, my mailer is too big for the PH doc. I am assuming my mailer was for his USMC document. Did the USMC docs come in flat mailers as well? 

Kurt Barickman

Don’t know for sure; the one time I had the PH document and the FDR accolade that came in the same mailer was from a late war ETO armored group. I think either Robert, Kurt, Frank or Dave could be more exact in their informed opinion on this question? When you refer to the USMC document, are you thinking of the KIA USMC discharge? Those came much later than the FDR and PH documents. I do have several of those in several KIA USMC Tarawa groups and they are dated often after the conclusion of WWII.

My two cents,

Kurt

On 9/16/2023 at 1:38 PM, Kurt Barickman said:

Don’t know for sure; the one time I had the PH document and the FDR accolade that came in the same mailer was from a late war ETO armored group. I think either Robert, Kurt, Frank or Dave could be more exact in their informed opinion on this question? When you refer to the USMC document, are you thinking of the KIA USMC discharge? Those came much later than the FDR and PH documents. I do have several of those in several KIA USMC Tarawa groups and they are dated often after the conclusion of WWII.

My two cents,

Kurt

Kurt, that answers my question then. Yes, I'm refering to the KIA USMC discharge document. If it did come later then it makes perfect sense that my mailer is for that document as it was shipped later, per you saying they came later than the PH document. So thank you, I learned something as far as how/when stuff was shipped to the family.