Breast Plate Thoughts?

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy this breast plate along with a cartridge box and percussion cap box. All of it has allegedly been together since the war. I am fairly confident on the authenticity of the leather pieces, but I am not 100% sure about this one.

If this breast plate is authentic I believe it is a WH Smith pattern, though it is unmarked. The olive branch matches Smith's. There are some initials faintly scratched into the back. It has an old coating of wax or something similar that has turned sticky, and there is a significant amount of it built up around the loops on the back. There is a bit of oxidization on the front that has probably transferred from the cartridge box, the brass hardware on it is heavily oxidized. 

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

A follow up: the loops appear to be iron and I believe the back is solder filled, but I am far from an expert. I also apologize for the lower quality pictures, I only had my phone on me. Thanks again!

USCapturephotos

I think it looks good to me. I think it was maybe polished 50 or 60 years ago. Do you have measurements for it? I can check my books.

4 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

I think it looks good to me. I think it was maybe polished 50 or 60 years ago. Do you have measurements for it? I can check my books.

I agree in regards to the polishing. That’s probably when the waxy substance was put on it. Unfortunately I don’t have any measurements. Thank you!