Signal Lamp Equipment Set - WWII

mrhell

Hello, I found something really neat (I think), at a local gun show today. Not sure if it's rare, but I must say I have never even seen a photo of one before. It's a complete signal lamp set and is only missing the goggles. It works and everything is in decent condition. The thing even has rifle-like aiming sights. It's used in the field and flashes light bursts in morse code. You hold it like a rifle or you can mount it on a tripod. Also has a remote switch in case some unfriendlies decide to aim at the light. :lol:

Does anyone have any additional information on this? Any guess on value or length of use? I may have over-paid and probably did, but the condition and completeness of this item made it a must have. Thank you for any information you can offer. I will try to take some pictures to post as soon as I can, but for now here are some scans of the manual to give you an idea of what I have.

sigman.jpg

sigman2.jpg

Johan Willaert
Pathfinders to be exact if I'm not mistaken..

That's a general misconception.... These were not used by Pathfinders, nor are they a specific AB item.

They are general Signal Corps equipment and not all that commonly used....

A couple of years ago, many complete sets still in the original wrappers with packing slips dating back to January 1944 surfaced as surplus in Europe...

That's a general misconception.... These were not used by Pathfinders, nor are they a specific AB item.

They are general Signal Corps equipment and not all that commonly used....

A couple of years ago, many complete sets still in the original wrappers with packing slips dating back to January 1944 surfaced as surplus in Europe...

That's right.

Eureka / Rebecca was for pathfinders -- not the systems that would be like invitation for the Germans to attack DZ/LZ before airborne assault. ;)

Johan Willaert

The complete set with the M227 Signal Lamp is called

Signal Lamp Equipment SE-11

Here's what they look like wrapped in grease paper from the factory

SE-11Wrapped.jpg

Included in this set was this packing list from 31 January 1944, from JA Maurer Inc of NYC.

This set was sold to the Phila SC Procurement District.

It lists every item included in the SE-11 set

SE-11PackingList.jpg

When Osprey published their Elite Series #31 US Army AB 1940-1990 in 1990, the color artwork by Ron Volstad on the cover and inside showed a Mohawk 101AB trooper acrrying this kind of lamp.

The caption described him as being a Pathfinder in Normandy.

This has generated the misconception that the lamp was used by PF and that PF had Mohawk haircuts and red and white face paint.........

The complete set with the M227 Signal Lamp is called

Signal Lamp Equipment SE-11

Here's what they look like wrapped in grease paper from the factory

SE-11Wrapped.jpg

Included in this set was this packing list from 31 January 1944, from JA Maurer Inc of NYC.

This set was sold to the Phila SC Procurement District.

It lists every item included in the SE-11 set

SE-11PackingList.jpg

When Osprey published their Elite Series #31 US Army AB 1940-1990 in 1990, the color artwork by Ron Volstad on the cover and inside showed a Mohawk 101AB trooper acrrying this kind of lamp.

The caption described him as being a Pathfinder in Normandy.

This has generated the misconception that the lamp was used by PF and that PF had Mohawk haircuts and red and white face paint.........

Ahhh...thank you for the clarification! thumbsup.gif

Johan Willaert

Most units must have had these in their inventory, so yes, I think Armor too.

But the fact remains they were hardly used and you don't see them often on period pictures....

There is one slung on a Paratrooper walking in line towards his airplane on D-1 though...

.....and just when I thought I found a unique item in great condition.... along comes someone with one that is still in the wrap! jeal0001.gifbravo.gif

Excellent information guys (especially the packing list), but I just can't understand the need for the goggles? Still an interesting piece of equipment that is really just a modified 5-cell flashlight.

Any idea what the value would be on a complete set in very good condition?

• 1 month later...