Navy Ship Awards

madmoose

I have some named WWII navy uniforms, I know what ships they served on and time frame but do not know medals they received. My question is would they receive the same awards as the ship, ie, campaign ribbons, citations and awards. Thank you   

I think they would have to be serving on that ship at the same time that the ship got its ribbons. There were multiple units serving aboard any one ship throughout the war so I would say it would depend on dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. If the person was attached to the ship, they received the same awards as the ship, e.g. if the ship earned a NUC for the Okinawa Campaign, then that Sailor who was onboard would also earn the NUC. 

Unlike other services, the Navy does not allow people serving on a ship (or with a unit) to wear the previous unit awards earned by that unit. 

Also, there are restrictions with regard to staffs, embarked units, etc. For example, if a ship was awarded a unit award, the embarked staff (say, for an admiral) would not be entitled to that award. However, if the entire senior unit (say, Task Force 20, for example) received an award, then the staff(s) and ships of that Task Force would all receive the unit award.

Hope that makes sense!

Dave

Oh, and as far as campaign awards, the person would have to be attached to the ship and physically present to be entitled to the unit award (someone may be "attached" but not actually onboard, and thus, they would not be entitled to the same awards as their counterparts).

The physically present part goes for unit awards as well. 

Not sure if it is only, but the Navy has published books that indicate which ships and units earned which awards for actions within sets of dates. It is pretty cryptic, but it is comprehensive. I have a copy from the early 1950s that covers all of WWII. A few hundred pages of very small type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://awards.navy.mil/awards/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/home.htm?OpenDocument

This link will allow to search awards by unit name, ship commands etc   I used to have a PDF with all the awards by command but I cant locate it right now

Warning the site may come up as not secure but I have never had an issue with it, it is a US Navy official site