USMC WWII and older "smalls"

warguy

I don't think this has been done before, so I thought I would start a thread to discuss and display "smalls", Marine Corps related and WWII and older. By smalls, I am referring to those smaller "accent" items you might put in a collection to accent the display or the war room. Perhaps this is a ring or letter opener, a post marked envelop to a famous Marine or far off land, a menu or brightly colored pamphlet from the period that you throw onto the shelf to add color or interest. Maybe it is a piece of trench art or some other souvenir brought home by a Marine (make sure we comply with forum rules on foreign material). Perhaps it is a set of interesting dog tags, an embroidered hankie or a piece of sweetheart memorabilia. Over the years, I have seen some really fascinating items in other collections that don't really get illustrated or highlighted because the painted 5th Marine brodie helmet or the WWII Raider stiletto next to it takes center stage. I am hoping to stay away from equipment, helmets or uniforms that already have dozens of threads dedicated. Perhaps you have an interesting lighter or cigarette box or other piece of personal property that portrays a Marines service in a particular theater.

I know we are busy at the holidays, but I also know that some folks take time off, so it is my hope other will contribute when they have the time.

I thought I would get it started to illustrate some of the things I am referring to. I really enjoy some of these items that so often tend to take the back seat. I hope to see a whole lot more added. 

For starters, here are some WWI pieces of trench art brought home by Marines serving in France I have accumulated from Marine Corps related collections over the years. 

IMG_1045.JPG

A couple of older Marine Corps related rings in my collection. I love the enameled ring and match box made overseas during the occupation after WWI. You used to see these come to market fairly regularly, but I haven't see either the ring or match box offered for sale for a long time now. I love the art work. 

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

This is an interesting sweetheart item sent to a Marine. I am not really sure what it is. At first I thought it could be a book cover, but the dimsensions arent right and it looks more like a small pouch or bag. Inside was this neat hand embroidered "pillow" that may have at one time contained potpourri or something. The pillow is stitched 1913. 

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

Next up, is hands down my favorite piece of WWI Marine related trench art. This is so hard to photograph. The whole shell is an even dark chocolate brown color, and really looks more like bronze than brass. I love the little ega hammered out. 

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

Collectors will occasionally see these small sword letter openers. You will find them in varying degrees of quality, from real cheap to pretty detailed. This one depicting an officers Mameluke measures about 6 inches, complete with its gold and red sword knot and an etched blade on both sides.

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

Photographs can really accent a collection. I have a number of old black and whites from varying time periods. I really like this early photo as it is in a China made silver frame and depicts a rare image of an EM in the white topped bell crown. Looks great on the shelf near my China Marine collection. 

IMG_1058.JPG

This is an interesting piece of trench art from the Span Am War with an original large size spiked helmet ega on the front. This came through the courtesy of another forum member who has its mate (perhaps he will depict his as well?) Neat little tankard. There is a Navy button on top which I have always found interesting-perhaps a ship board Marine consigned this?

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

I have never shared this piece of trench art before, but I think it is one of the more historical items in my collection. This shell represents "The last shot fired in WWI". It was fired as a salute to President Wilson in Parris in June 1919. While no mention of the Marines on this of course, you know they were there, (likely as a part of the 3rd Composite Battalion-Pershings own, Company E) so it finds a proud spot in my Marine WWI collection. Darn thing is tough to photograph. 

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

I have a few of these original pamphlets and menus sprinkled through the collection. I especially like the ones with the colorful art work.

Once again, please post your examples when you have the time. 

IMG_1063.JPG

5 hours ago, warguy said:

Photographs can really accent a collection. I have a number of old black and whites from varying time periods. I really like this early photo as it is in a China made silver frame and depicts a rare image of an EM in the white topped bell crown. Looks great on the shelf near my China Marine collection. 

IMG_1058.JPG

Kevin,

Some great stuff! I had some China Marine pictures handy so I thought I'd through them into the mix. Nothing anything close to the nice frame of yours.

First picture is labeled "US Winter Guard". It appears the Marines are wearing P1897 caps and holding Lee Navy rifles.

Second picture is F Co., 4th Marines. Photo has an embossed Chinese studio at lower right corner.

Third is marked Shanghai, 12-11-1938.

I will try to post other items as time permits.

Ken

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00308.JPG

DSC00310.JPG

DSC00313.JPG

DSC00315.JPG

DSC00317.JPG

Ken, those photographs are simply incredible, and the frames and matting are absolutely beautiful. Very professional looking display. Thanks for contributing! 

On 12/14/2020 at 8:36 AM, warguy said:

This is an interesting piece of trench art from the Span Am War with an original large size spiked helmet ega on the front. This came through the courtesy of another forum member who has its mate (perhaps he will depict his as well?) Neat little tankard. There is a Navy button on top which I have always found interesting-perhaps a ship board Marine consigned this?

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPGNot sure how I missed this post earlier. Your stein really is the twin of mine, so I won't post a photo.  I remember when I first posted mine on the forum someone commented that they had "several" like it. I asked to please share, as I had never and still have never seen another one.

Thought I would post some more stuff in the hopes of enticing others to jump in. I don't know how "small" most posters are , but for me anyway, they aren't necessarily a primary focus. Having said that, they sure add interest and color in the War Room. Here are a few of my favorites-posters, and trolly cards. 

IMG_7308.JPG

IMG_7316.JPG

IMG_7318.JPG

I love old post cards. For me, they started as "smalls" but I grouped them together into a display on the wall and they became quite a bit larger. All of the ones in the display are unissued with the exception of the single I posted here. It was sent from Preston Greer, a pretty well known WWI hero from the fighting in France. Of course these cards represent posters of the WWI period and were produced during that time frame. If anyone sees an old post cards from this era I am missing, please let me know. These are all I have been able to find to date. 

newgrouping2.jpg

postcard1.jpg

postcard2.jpg

A few more, the 78th company booklet is not only a great source of information for research, but the backside (last photo) has a very colorful Indian star logo that looks great displayed behind a helmet from the same unit. The cased cigarette case came from a China Marine in 1946. The watch was purchased at a local estate many years ago and came from a grouping belonging to a WWII Corsair pilot. Patches can of course amount to a focused collection in their own right. I have many singles spread throughout the collection as well as a larger collection. This sampling here represents three different styles of patch worn by the Iceland Marines. There is a thread on this forum solely dedicated to Marine Corps pennants. I have a couple of old ones and they are great accents in the room. 

6th USMC helmet-4.jpg

CC1-001.jpg

CC2-001.jpg

Coleman2.jpg

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

Kevin here is a few additions....first the USS Asheville’s Landing Force Bill laying out the Marine Detachments duties, objectives and table of organization at the start of the Marine Corps  permanent presence in Shanghai....at this time the 4th Marines were still racing across the Pacific toward Shanghai. But Marine detachments aboard our Asiatic Fleet could begin landing operations immediately.

the second item is a flyer if you will, that appeared around the Legation Quarter in Peking right before the Japanese surrounded the Legation Guard to force their surrender on December 8. Here the Japanese are warning citizens to stay away from the Guard Compound area as a state of war now exists between the Japanese and the Americans. A US diplomat brought it home in 1942 when he was exchanged along with other US State Department folks and with Japanese diplomats as a part of an agreement between the two counties. 

AA934265-715D-4D5C-9B83-4AAC92A02264.jpeg

F81C2D53-0C3B-4BB5-9560-D590C406910D.jpeg

EE33F816-BF52-4F22-B06F-B103171E9833.jpeg

You guys are showing some sharp looking items! I also look for smalls that I can hang on the wall by themselves or as a group in a shadow box. 

This is a belt with belt plate I bought off ebay in about 1992. The seller showed plenty of photos of the front. When I got it in my hands, I looked at the back and saw it was inscribed with the Marines name, SN and dates of service! The seller never showed a picture of that or disclosed it in his add!! 

Anyway, it's one of 5 belts in a shadow box that hangs on the wall.

IMG_20201128_083923982~2.jpg

IMG_20201128_084651586~3.jpg

BILL THE PATCH
This is an interesting sweetheart item sent to a Marine. I am not really sure what it is. At first I thought it could be a book cover, but the dimsensions arent right and it looks more like a small pouch or bag. Inside was this neat hand embroidered "pillow" that may have at one time contained potpourri or something. The pillow is stitched 1913. 
IMG_1049.JPG.01d40475c7738592a920e0157471d3c5.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG.3d744b91a20175ebaa3723c77823ec09.JPG
I had something similar to this item, mine said sister and I believe it was to put your favorite holiday cards or greeting cards or even letters of correspondence.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk