Question about Late 1950s USN Signal Flags

stratasfan

Here is a post totally unrelated to forum fixing! :) My Grampa was a signalman on the USS Salem  from 1954-58. He won awards for precision and speed sending flag signals. What would the signal flags have looked like? I'd like to try and get one or two for a display, but I know absolutely nothing about signal flags! So, any info would be appreciated and of interest! Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

TheCrustyBosun
1 hour ago, stratasfan said:

Here is a post totally unrelated to forum fixing! :) My Grampa was a signalman on the USS Salem  from 1954-58. He won awards for precision and speed sending flag signals. What would the signal flags have looked like? I'd like to try and get one or two for a display, but I know absolutely nothing about signal flags! So, any info would be appreciated and of interest! Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

He probably excelled at semaphore signals. Semaphore is a signal system that uses two hand-held flags displayed in various combinations of positions. The rating indicator for signalman is shown below.  

DCF8C834-CE86-414A-A993-4F2A5497D462.jpeg

Oh, thanks so much for the picture of the rating! So, would the pair of flags have been red? The only time I've seen Semaphore is in the movies, and black & white. :)