Camera Experiment

SKIPH

Due to all the boredom lately, decided to try my hand w/ the camera phone on starting to photograph my collection. Today I took pics of 22 out of 56 M3s that I own. Those photographed were blade-dated, blade marked, a couple of guard, or dual marked M3s, and those in M6, or leather scabbards. Some are mint, others well used, "been there done that conditions".  Let me know what I could do to improve my photography, (next time I will do individual makers, for the smaller field). SKIP

20201213_122006.jpg

20201213_122015.jpg

Good job, Skip.  Bill Walters book 1 in in the mail to me as we speak. As I have mentioned before, I do not collect M3s, however, I thought it would be a good idea to become familiar with them.  I could ask you a lot of questions about your collection, but I'll wait for the book to arrive.  What a great collection!

I have an older iphone, so maybe this tip will be out of date.  On my phone, as you see your subject in the viewfinder, you can tap the screen with your finger which does two things.  It shows a little square on the screen and focuses best within the square.  Second, the square has a little "sun" on one of the sides.  You can drag the sun along the side of the square and it will change the lighting brighter or darker. In your photos, you have white pieces of paper. Those throw off the lighting. The camera tries to balance the light between the lightest and darkest objects, which makes your M3s darker than they need to be.  Someone please correct me, as I'm old too. 

Marv

Marv- Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize the paper tended to mess things up. I have to check my camera's screen to see what other icons I could use.  FWIW those tags attached to each knife or scabbard have the identity of knife & scabbard , date I bought it, how much paid, and value. This way my kids won't have a yard sale and sell everything for $5 each.  Advise all collectors should do that.  SKIP

Marv is right about the white sheets of paper, and what throws the lighting off in automatic mode.  Usually there are several modes available that allows either default settings or allow you to set the settings.  The macro-settings are particularly useful, once you learn how they work.

As for the collection, it looks great.  I think I have all of 4 M3s, one in an M6 sheath, the rest in M8 scabbards.  I actually have a bunch of M8 scabbards holding other than M3 knives.