NATIONAL INFANTRY MUSEUM - Fort Benning/Columbus, Georgia

lewis505

Folks my name is Chris Lewis & I'm the Director of Education & Volunteer Services at the National Infantry Museum , ocated just outside Fort Benning, Georgia.  The Museum has been closed to the public since late March, but has continued to conduct training for Infantry OSUT Trainees, OCS Candidates, and other Soldiers on Fort Benning on the history, heritage & legacy of the Infantry.  

The Museum will temporarily re-pen to the public from Saturday, 19 December 2020 to Sunday 10 January 2021, since most of the Soldiers from Fort Benning will be home on Holiday Block Leave.  The Museum will be open Tuesday thru Saturday, 0900 to 1700hrs, and Sunday from 1100hrs to 1700hrs.  We will be closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and will close early at 1500hrs on New Year's Eve.  All current COVID-19 protocols must be strictly adhered & we have multiple hand sanitizer stations onsite within the Museum.

Our WWII Company Street will be closed during this time; however, contact me at the e-mail address below & we can see about making some special arrangements

We are located at 1775 Legacy Way, Columbus, Georgia 31903

Phone# is (706) 685.5800

Museum website:  https://nationalinfantrymuseum.org/

Museum Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/nationalinfantrymuseum

If any of you are in the Columbus/Fort Benning area, shoot me an e-mail at:  [email protected]

AIRBORNE!  FOLLOW ME!!

Chris

CSM(R) Chris Lewis

National Infantry Museum Foundation

Fort Benning, GA.

"lewis505"

• 6 months later...
WWIIinterviews

Hi Chris,

Hoping the museum opens soon. I think it is a race between your museum and the National Museum of Naval Aviation as to which one opens first.

BTW, I really like the piece of music presented as you walk up the war timeline as you enter the museum.

20190928_125455.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chris,

I am trying to find the site where the WWII sign, that was put over the entrance to the captured railroad bridge at Remagen by the 9th Armored Division which read "Cross the Rhine with Dry Feet" - "Courtesy of 9th Armored Division" is located.  I saw it years ago at the Fort Knox Armored Museum and when I went there again a couple of years down the road with my wife it had been moved along with most of the other museum displays.  I was told Ft. Benning, but not sure.  Is the sign located at your museum?

Thank you,

CG

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 3:48 PM, cgutierrez said:

Chris,

I am trying to find the site where the WWII sign, that was put over the entrance to the captured railroad bridge at Remagen by the 9th Armored Division which read "Cross the Rhine with Dry Feet" - "Courtesy of 9th Armored Division" is located.  I saw it years ago at the Fort Knox Armored Museum and when I went there again a couple of years down the road with my wife it had been moved along with most of the other museum displays.  I was told Ft. Benning, but not sure.  Is the sign located at your museum?

Thank you,

CG

We don't have that sign in our Museum; it may be in storage with the Armor Collection folks out on Harmony Church - I'll see what I can find out

Chris

UPDATES

The NIM is now open to the public on weekends only!  0900-1700hrs on Saturdays & 1100-1700hrs on Sundays!  We will remain closed to the public during the week, in order to conduct Soldier Training events for units on Fort Benning & follow COVID-19 mitigation guidance from Benning.

We are also one of ten Museums in Georgia that are part of the new Georgia WWII Heritage Trail - check out the website for more info

https://www.georgiawwiitrail.org/

Hope to see you at the NIM soon!  FOLLOW ME!

Chris

• 9 months later...

UPDATE

We are open to the public, Tuesday thru Saturday, 0900-1700hrs, and Sundays from 1100-1700hrs - closed on Mondays

Check out our website for the latest info - hope to see you here soon!

https://nationalinfantrymuseum.org/

Follow Me!  AIRBORNE!!