Navy Officer Dress Blue jacket- LT Jerry Funk, USNR

BigBrother

Well, for those of you who at all recall my relatively few posts on here, I’m getting into putting together various service and work uniforms from WWII.

Even though Navy Officer service wasn’t near the front of the line for me, I came across what I think was an amazing find yesterday at a vintage store.

Have a look. I have no clue what era this is from; my cursory search online showed that it *could* serve as WWII but you guys are the experts!

Anyway, I don’t think this thing could’ve been tailored for me any better, it is in almost new condition (small amounts of fraying on the sleeve ribbons/insignia and a few very small holes in the lining near the label where, I just realized upon second inspection and judging from their size/positions, I think a name tag used to be sewn). Other than that, looks straight from the factory.

Price paid:

$5

How did I do? :)

D8ED8F3E-D2CA-40CE-AF3B-21C04CD92248.png

C063CA1E-31C1-47FD-9504-2558B66F62BC.png

8DA1F23A-50D4-40AA-BC2D-2D58E58AE45E.png

BEB04016-0AA0-4F5F-B13D-3D0EB88A5F54.png

Tags were used in WWII era. Did you check the tag inside the inside pocket for name/date.

If it fits you did great, though stripped officer SDB uniforms don’t often sell for much. I bought a nice named WWII Brooks Brothers SDB for not much more. Not having to pay a fortune for alterations is the big score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNY Militaria

They aren’t all that desirable unless the name researches out to something really interesting in the service/award history. It’s not uncommon to find these for $5-15 each at shows.  

4 hours ago, BigBrother said:

Really, these things go for $5?

Yep, and at that, it may take you awhile to find a buyer.  I would expand on CNY’s spot-on statement, and say that a lot of Navy items are like that - including jumpers, etc.  Again, unless something stellar comes back on the name.  

The difference between these and 80s Woodland BDUs is that you can hunt in the BDUs.  :) 

Do you know from anything shown above if it would stand out as wrong for WWII? I always thought the Cracker Jack was remarkable in how little it has changed, but looking at SDB now I’m amazed at how unchanged it seems to be (?) What do you think?

Do you know from anything shown above if it would stand out as wrong for WWII? I always thought the Cracker Jack was remarkable in how little it has changed, but looking at SDB now I’m amazed at how unchanged it seems to be (?) What do you think?

Other than material I’m not sure the officer SDB jacket has changed since WWII. The pants may have changed with difference in fashion but I have never checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking this jacket belonged to Jerry Harry Funk, who was commissioned in 1943. It doesn’t appear that he made it above LTJG, so this is probably his WW2 vintage uniform.

Holy crap.. you found that? That’s amazing, yet I suppose a bit unsurprising given you guys really, really know how to research this. I’m impressed! Do you have any geographical information about him? (Or can just send a link?)

• 3 months later...

Dave most likely found that info in what’s called the Navy Register, a list of all officers in the navy for a particular year. It would have commissioning date, rank, and service number. 

Dave most likely found that info in what’s called the Navy Register, a list of all officers in the navy for a particular year. It would have commissioning date, rank, and service number. 

I guess my phone locked up and posted that comment twice. Neat.
I searched a few sites but didn’t find anything else. 

Except this.

Jerry H Funk.jpg

huntssurplus

Picture of the vet definitely increased your value... I would pay $10-20 + shipping depending on what the vet did in the Navy. Still not a bad find, if I came across one for 5 bucks I would buy it too. These just aren't worth much, the problem with Navy uniforms is they don't have the "look" like Army uniforms nor the prestige of USMC uniforms. Without ribbons it really isn't worth much. Probably the most commonly overpriced item I find are Navy officer uniforms from post-WW2 without combat service. You see them listed for $50, $60, or even $100+ at vintage stores and estate sales. They aren't really worth the shipping. Nothing wrong with them, They just don't have a lot of desirability.

Salvage Sailor

Jerry H. Funk settled in Alpine California in the post war years opening a pharmacy with his wife (Alpine Rexall Pharmacy).  He was very active in the Alpine community, also being the President of the Chamber of Commerce and holding other civic posts.

Jerry H Funk 001.jpg

In 2003 Jerry H. Funk was honored by the town of Alpine on their veterans memorial.

Alpine - Monday, November 11th, nine new heroes were added to the Alpine Wall of Honor on Veterans Day. The ceremony took place at 11 a.m.

Added to the wall were MSG James Horton, Army Ranger, Sgt Rodney J Tuttle Jr. US Air Force, MM3 Victor M. Figueroa US Navy, Cpl Enrique S. Camarena, US Marine Corps, LtCol George D Rose, US Marine Corps, Robert T Denny, US Navy, LT Jerry H. Funk US Navy, 1LT Joseph Drew US Army, SM2 William G. Mitchell US Navy.

Jerry H Funk 002.jpg

Jerry H Funk 003.jpg

• 8 months later...