US marked Model 1912 Holster

jjsully53

Hello.

New to the group and wanted to see if anyone can help me to identify the markings on this holster.  The brass pivot rivet is marked "70"  and just below it, it is marked "COA 8C"on the leather.  The only other visible mark is on the back side next to the back of pivot rivet  is an "H" probably an inspectors mark.No manufacturer imprint is visible from what I can see.

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2239-2.jpg

IMG_2238-3.jpg

IMG_2237-2.jpg

IMG_2240-2.jpg

Looks like a private purchase holster as there is no grommet  for a leg tie that I can see.  Other than Co. A, I don't know what the other markings are. Nice condition.

Hi GWS,

Thanks! There is actually a grommet at the bottom of the holster which is probably where leg tie would go.  There is also a "50" marked on the leather below the COA 8C markings

Thanks

Jim

jjsully53--After re-reading my reply, I did not mean to imply that all private purchase holsters did not have a grommeted hole for a leg tie, I just couldn't see it in the photo.  My own PP holster made by Abercrombie&Fitch does have the leg tie hole and strap attachment slot.  It is possible that  this is an arsenal made holster with the original markings worn off, but I can't tell from what I see in the photos.  Only those arsenal (Rock Island Arsenal) made  holsters made in the year 1911 had the the arsenal marking just below the swivel, the balance 1912-1916, were marked lower on the  back of the hanger above where the rivets were for attaching the hanger to the holster body. The marking was small, 1/8 inch, and not very deep on many of the examples I've seen.  A photo of the backside  would really help on this.

could be #70 rack number, A Company 8th Cavalry Regt...  not sure what the 50 would be.. interesting holster non the less. Usually the Cavalry holster are abbreviated CAV on the ones that I have seen but it could be a weak stamp or the marker didn't think he needed to add more.... good luck with your research and inquiry..

Let me correct an error I made before this goes any further. The grommeted hole on the model of 1912 holster is in fact a drain hole and not a leg tie hole as a I mentioned in my previous post.  The holster is tied or strapped to the leg with a leather strap that goes thru a slot on the backside of the holster.  I was thinking of a model 1916 when I made that comment.  Sorry. I don't think any of the marks or stamps on your holster were applied at the arsenal.