Jimmy Doolittle business card

hink441

This is a recent find. A nice autographed business card from Jimmy Doolittle. I was very happy to get this one. I have always admired the General. I believe this card is actually a pre WW2 business card from the 1930’s. I have no real idea what this is worth, all I know is what I paid. 

Any thoughts or comments? 

Chris

0493158F-B23C-4637-B31B-9FF5C4874837.jpeg

C3FDF09C-CBAE-414B-88CC-6BBFF8E21B6A.jpeg

5A2BC523-ABC0-431F-B461-E460ED0BD160.jpeg

F1B4ABA8-3141-4AA6-896A-706C42B835DC.jpeg

FEC2B469-8426-47E4-B124-1759995B9FD6.jpeg

That's great.

He worked for Shell from 1930 to 1940 and returned in 1946 till I don't know when. He ran the Aviation Department prewar, but think he had a different job after.  

Been debating with myself about picking up his autograph for a few months now. You may have convinced me to get myself a Christmas present.

Mikie

7 hours ago, mikie said:

That's great.

He worked for Shell from 1930 to 1940 and returned in 1946 till I don't know when. He ran the Aviation Department prewar, but think he had a different job after.  

Been debating with myself about picking up his autograph for a few months now. You may have convinced me to get myself a Christmas present.

Mikie

Thanks Mikie

I agree this card is definitely pre-war because of the job title. A post war Jimmy Doolittle Shell business card would have his title listed as a Vice President or Director. 

I have learned a few things regarding the General. His pre-war time at Shell was spent developing Aviation high octane fuel. This development became very useful in years to come. I also did not know he was running NACA agency, the predecessor to the NASA program. He really was involved in a lot of progressive stuff for his generation and deeply influenced and forever changed the Aviation industry. 

I found this card in an antique shop. The card was partially hidden and I almost passed by unnoticed. The seller just happened to be there and I asked him a question and he pulled it out of the case and showed the card to me. When I saw the autograph was on the back of his business card I knew I had to buy it. 

I also think you should get that Doolittle autograph for your Xmas present. 😁

Chris

Very nice collectible. Congrats. Here is a colorized photo from the twenties I think. I believe this is him right? Your card would look great displayed with a nice early photo of him. Nicely protected for the time being though. Thanks for sharing this historical artifact. 

8CA64F03-A459-421E-B37B-A197C64E0129.jpeg

Allan and Warguy, those are both great ideas regarding the display of this card. 

I will probably go with those ideas after the holidays and get the card framed and mounted with a pre-war picture of Doolittle and a photocopy of the business card. 

Chris

• 1 year later...

Chris,

Just saw this posting… very cool card!  Did you ever get around to framing it?  Some of the photos posted here would look great with it.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:33 PM, digi-shots said:

Chris,

Just saw this posting… very cool card!  Did you ever get around to framing it?  Some of the photos posted here would look great with it.

Hi Linda, I still have not framed the card, but it is still displayed prominently on my mantle 👍

I suggest the book " I Could Never be so Lucky Again"  His accomplishments are astounding.  IIRC he was the first person to get a doctorate in aviation engineering. He actually developed a lot of the instruments that are common use today,  He also was not a person to tell " that cant be done " 

• 3 weeks later...

As a point of reference, here is a photo from my website with Doolittle's autograph from 1930. Within weeks of signing this card, he resigned his regular Air Corps commission and went to work for Shell. 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg