Pre WWII Marine Fighter Squadron VFM-1 "The Devil Dogs" unused, color transfer 1937-1941

6th.MG.BN

I came upon this going through some boxes I had packed away. It has always intrigued me as to when it was issued. I remember back when I got it, I think the late 1990's, I always thought it was WWII issued. Well after I unboxed it today, I started to look into the history of VFM-1 and discovered it was organized on 1 July 1937 and lasted until 1 July 1941 when it was redesignated VMF-111.

The unused transfer measures 9-1/4" diameter and exhibit's some cracking to the exposed/paint side. The instruction side has "VMF-1" above "Left side" along with the outline of a "Devil Dog". It also has instructions for Appling it. Interesting that the instructions say to apply a quick drying varnish to the paint and let it become tacky before applying.

One of corners of the transfer has come loose so you can lift up a little to see the transfer matches the outline of the devil dog. I can see enough to see that the devil dog is red. The instruction side is marked, "Manufactured By, A&R Department, Naval Air Station, San Diego, Calif.".

Information came from "United State Marine Corps, Aviation Squadron, Lineage, Insignia & History",  by Michael J. Crowder on pg. 20,21.

I look forward to hearing other members opinions about this transfer.

Ken

DSC00237.JPG

DSC00238.JPG

DSC00239.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

DSC00241.JPG

DSC00245.JPG

DSC00251.JPG

DSC00250.JPG

DSC00247.JPG

DSC00254.JPG

DSC00257.JPG

That's pretty neat! I bet that's a tail decal for one of their F3F's - do you think it's big enough for that? At 9 and 1/4" seems like it might be. 

Here's an F3F from the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. I know in WWII some squadrons had insignia on the engine cowlings, but looks like there's one on the tail here.

Grumman F3F.jpg

Of course! I've always thought these pre-war planes had some pretty paint schemes.

Come to think of it, I bet that's why it says "left side" too - to ensure that the bulldog is facing forward on the plane (as it would be if applied to the left side), and not backwards. 

They do have some great looking paint don't they.

It does make sense that the transfer is marked "left" so it would face the right way.

If you notice in the picture you posted, just below the cockpit is another decal of an EGA in a smaller size.

I'm guessing if the decal/transfer I have is too small to earn a spot on the tail it might have been used on the cowling or just under the cockpit.

There has to be a picture of it out there somewhere?

Ken

That may be the case. I think the Navy put squadron decals up front like that, but it looks like the Marines mostly did the EGA there. That could have varied over time or from squadron to squadron I suppose. A picture will probably settle it

I'll see if I can find a period photo of a VMF-1 F3F.