Vanguard 3" Pilot Wing - Aluminum?

donaldnol

I have a pilot wing here made by VANGUARD light weight looks to be cast from aluminum 3'' inches long has european style pins and over flow of metal on reverse side ?

post war alluminum wing 006.JPG

post war alluminum wing 005.JPG

post war alluminum wing 007.JPG

post war alluminum wing 004.JPG

post war alluminum wing 003.JPG

post war alluminum wing 001.JPG

1 minute ago, donaldnol said:

I have a pilot wing here made by VANGUARD light weight looks to be cast from aluminum 3'' inches long has european style pins and over flow of metal on reverse side ?

post war alluminum wing 006.JPG

post war alluminum wing 005.JPG

post war alluminum wing 007.JPG

post war alluminum wing 003.JPG

post war alluminum wing 001.JPG

you can see the extra flow of metal

The clutch post look just like those of some reproduction DI's I had that were made by a man named Kupnick (sp?) or something like that from decades back.  The description made me fist think POW made but in looking at your images it just seem to well done to me and not enough oxidation for that.  Interesting though.

32 minutes ago, LuftStalg1 said:

The clutch post look just like those of some reproduction DI's I had that were made by a man named Kupnick (sp?) or something like that from decades back.  The description made me fist think POW made but in looking at your images it just seem to well done to me and not enough oxidation for that.  Interesting though.

i've gotten these wings in a large lot on bid years ago thought they could be toy wings but the vanguard is stamped to good. the back pins look german what they had on there insignias. thanks for reply

I can’t imagine anyone faking a post WWII low value wing as this.

It looks more like a repair to me.

Wing probably dates from the mid 1950’s prior to alpha numeric system.

John

What do the edges look like?  This should tell us if it is truly die struck or sand cast or something else.  Could it be a test strike or did Vanguard truly make aluminum wings?

1 hour ago, LuftStalg1 said:

What do the edges look like?  This should tell us if it is truly die struck or sand cast or something else.  Could it be a test strike or did Vanguard truly make aluminum wings?

i just put it under a 40x lens and it showed tiny pits under N.Y. and some other areas it must be casted aluminum