USMC Officers field hats WWI to WWII

warguy

Another forum member is studying Marine Corps field hats in the Span Am War period, a much needed topic for research. I thought I might show the four Officers field hats I have in my collection, as they represent four distinctly different designs (or insignia) reflective of hats worn from WWI to WWII. I would love it if other members would chime in with additional information or share other examples they have in their collection.

First up, is a named M1911 officers cover from WWI. This one is named to a Marine Aviator who spent time training and flying in Florida and stayed stateside for the war. This hat, typical of officer uniforms, was privately produced or distributed and is marked on the sweatband to WM Burdines and Sons department store in Miami. They changed the name in 1920, so this is a pre-1920 produced hat. An Ellis pattern ega resides on the front. In WWI, Officers and EM field hats had the folded brim and the typical two stich lines around the edge of the brim. 

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

Following WWI, the folded brim disappeared from these hats and during the Banana Wars period the collector will typically find an unfolded brim with two lines of stitching. Here is a Stetson marked example which (based on the ega design) is likely late twenties or 1930's vintage. 

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

Finally, one will occasionally find a WWII example. This one has a stamp on the reverse side of the sweatband dating it to 1944. No stitch line at all at the brim. Later WWII vintage ega. Once again, please feel free to share. I am photographing some of my collection and had these shots anyway, so thought that might be a platform for a discussion on these. 

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

Brilliant examples!!! You have built a heck of a headgear collection!  I think I can throw up a few for the thread, but not as stunning as the ones you have shown.