US Army Command and General Staff College International Graduate Badge

bertmedals

Although this is not in my collecting area, I just recently picked up a US Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC -- Fort Leavenworth, Kansas) International Student Graduation Badge.  I haven't seen these discussed anywhere on the Forum and rarely see them at shows, etc.  So, I wanted to post it here in the event some Army badge collectors are not familiar with them.

CGSC has had international students since 1894.  The college estimates that there have been approximately 7,000 international graduates since then.  

Many foreign militaries award badges or other insignia to their personnel who graduate from their national staff or war colleges.  The US has never done this for its own staff and war college graduates that I am aware of. In 1964, international students at CGSC requested that the US present them a graduation badge for CGSC.  That request was appoved and since 1964 CGSC has awarded a graduation badge to international graduates.  I do not know if there have been any retroactive awards to graduates from classes before 1964.

The badge is 2 inches in diameter.  The design reportedly is based on either a Kansas Corn Flower or a sunflower.  It has the "Leavenworth Lamp" in the center.  It looks a little similar to the Army Staff Identification Badge. As currently awarded it is presented in a case and includes a matching lapel pin.

Here are links to articles on the 2017, 2018 and 2019 awards -- https://www.leavenworthtimes.com/news/20190620/year-marks-125-years-of-international-grads  and  https://www.cgscfoundation.org/119-international-students-receive-honors-from-cgsc/ and  https://www.army.mil/article/189152/cgsc_awards_international_student_badges 

Here are a few pictures of the badge I just picked up: obvers, reverse, and close up of the manufacturer's mark.

Dennis

20201210_161606 3.jpg

20201210_161410 3.jpg

20201210_161340 3.jpg

• 2 months later...
lamarhooten

I recall coming across a box of these, (50 or so maybe!) while I was doing some business in Bell Hall (the old CGSC one, torn down and a parking lot now) back around 1985 or '86. I figured I would ask if I could have one, but never got back to it and/or forgot about them.  It is something you do not see that often!

11 hours ago, lamarhooten said:

I recall coming across a box of these, (50 or so maybe!) while I was doing some business in Bell Hall (the old CGSC one, torn down and a parking lot now) back around 1985 or '86. I figured I would ask if I could have one, but never got back to it and/or forgot about them.  It is something you do not see that often!

Now that's something.  I vaguely remember the 2 international officers in my section receiving their badges in 1988 (one Nigerian and one Jordanian).  The example in my post is the first one I've seen outside of the Leavenworth award ceremony.  

Dennis

3 hours ago, bertmedals said:

Now that's something.  I vaguely remember the 2 international officers in my section receiving their badges in 1988 (one Nigerian and one Jordanian).  The example in my post is the first one I've seen outside of the Leavenworth award ceremony.  

Dennis

I'm losing it.  It was actually 1989.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:49 AM, bertmedals said:

Although this is not in my collecting area, I just recently picked up a US Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC -- Fort Leavenworth, Kansas) International Student Graduation Badge.  I haven't seen these discussed anywhere on the Forum and rarely see them at shows, etc.  So, I wanted to post it here in the event some Army badge collectors are not familiar with them.

CGSC has had international students since 1894.  The college estimates that there have been approximately 7,000 international graduates since then.  

Many foreign militaries award badges or other insignia to their personnel who graduate from their national staff or war colleges.  The US has never done this for its own staff and war college graduates that I am aware of. In 1964, international students at CGSC requested that the US present them a graduation badge for CGSC.  That request was appoved and since 1964 CGSC has awarded a graduation badge to international graduates.  I do not know if there have been any retroactive awards to graduates from classes before 1964.

The badge is 2 inches in diameter.  The design reportedly is based on either a Kansas Corn Flower or a sunflower.  It has the "Leavenworth Lamp" in the center.  It looks a little similar to the Army Staff Identification Badge. As currently awarded it is presented in a case and includes a matching lapel pin.

Here are links to articles on the 2017, 2018 and 2019 awards -- https://www.leavenworthtimes.com/news/20190620/year-marks-125-years-of-international-grads  and  https://www.cgscfoundation.org/119-international-students-receive-honors-from-cgsc/ and  https://www.army.mil/article/189152/cgsc_awards_international_student_badges 

Here are a few pictures of the badge I just picked up: obvers, reverse, and close up of the manufacturer's mark.i've got my researches from a great site my friend once recommended to me,I didn't think I could find and collect any material on this,but this amazing site really helped me with that.I was having a hard time thinking of where to find it and how to filter it.You can check it here and look what you can find for yourself.It's like an online library of knowledge,with a team of experts that are here for you and ready to help you with your assignments and prepare you for your tests!That is amazing for me actually as I was a lazy student but a smart one,it was like I had private teachers keeping an eye on me and helping me with my everyday tasks for my finals!I loved it and I hope you will also love it!

Dennis

20201210_161606 3.jpg

20201210_161410 3.jpg

20201210_161340 3.jpg

Where exactly did you get them from ? I'm interested in buying one for my friend who wants to enroll after he finishes college.

They are issued by the US Command and Staff College directly to international students when they graduate.  The one I posted is the only one I have ever seen for sale.  When I got it I looked at commercial US insignia manufacturers' websites but did not see any listed on them for sale.  I imagine they could come up for sale from time to time on European militaria dealer sites but I have never seen one on any of them.