Attributed AoNV Vets Badge

cylekostello

Hi all,

Something really neat from Everitt Bowles today. An Army of Northern Virginia veterans badge. What makes this piece extra unique is the fact that it’s attributed. According to Mr. Bowles this came from the estate of GH Baughman, whose service record is copied below. Hardly rock solid provenance but even unattributed this is a lovely badge

My first bit of confederate militaria as well!

f1a98cfa3194d9750e47ec0739511cf4.jpg

My first bit of confederate militaria as well!396520b175d8d86020ae9197e409ad9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops! Forgot to include his service record

ENLISTED ON 4/21/1861 AT RICHMOND, VA. AS A PRIVATE IN CO.F, 21ST VA INF
TANSFERRED INTO VA 38TH BATTN HEAVY ARTILLERY ON 7/15/1861
LISTED AS WOUNDED (IN NECK) ON 6/4/

And below is a link to his grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/92829389/greer-h-baughman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

Sorry I missed it LoL!  Great badge!

Ahaha thanks andrew! It's a great pickup, the attribution is for sure a great bonus

Great photo andrew. Were these badges presented to next-of-kin as well or was Julia Jackson a special case? 

Also I poked around online and turned up some of Greer H Baughman's letters home. The ones in the link below discuss action at Seven Day's, Gettysburg, and Petersburg.

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/cowans/csa-1st-sergeant-greer-h-baughman-caskies-battery-dearing-battalion-picketts-division-army-of-northern-virginia-archiv-812878

Looks Virginia Tech has a lot of the Baughman family letters. Greer's brother emilius also served in the 38th Btn. VA artillery. Unfortunately i don't think Va Tech has digitized the letters. 

Debating picking up a UCV arty. cap to go with Baughman's badge

wartimecollectables.com

Still learning about these but it is a Veteran's badge. I have seen them on many suspensions; tied like yours, watch fob, neck ribbon, medal drape. Like Winnie Davis, she was lauded as a 'Daughter of the South' (and like WInnie, died too young). She is shown in various images wearing numerous veterrans badges, more or less

"honorary".