WWI, Painted Helmet with Liner and Tag

rrobertscv

The split chin strap was a common war time modification. It was felt that the chin strap would split in a artillery barrage and thus the helmet wouldn’t remove your head.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, wyatt265 said:

The split chin strap was a common war time modification. It was felt that the chin strap would split in a artillery barrage and thus the helmet wouldn’t remove your head.

You have a source for this information?  Have never heard that before.  If that were the case wouldn't it make sense to notch the chinstrap vs cutting with the grain? 

It's my understanding they were split to cradle the chin for a tighter fit while worn.

Regarding the painting, I think done by the vet in the 20s-30s.  You don't see glossy paint used immediately post war. No idea who wore it - right? 

I agree with Austin....  the chinstrap is worn that way for a better fit generally speaking; and the paint looks old, but was likely done post-war...1920s is a good estimate.

1 hour ago, AustinO said:

You have a source for this information?  Have never heard that before.  If that were the case wouldn't it make sense to notch the chinstrap vs cutting with the grain? 

It's my understanding they were split to cradle the chin for a tighter fit while worn.

Regarding the painting, I think done by the vet in the 20s-30s.  You don't see glossy paint used immediately post war. No idea who wore it - right? 

No idea at all who it belonged to.