Recently acquired A-2. My first militaria purchase in over 7 years.

oddmod

Hi.

I stopped collecting about 7 years ago. However, I ran across this jacket recently and decided to buy it.

I gave it a quick (hyperventilating) once over in the shop before whipping out the credit card. Once I got it home I started pouring over it in detail. I've read up on the manufacturer, and tried to research the serviceman.

I know that it has some anomalous details that deviate from the descriptions I've read of the manufacturer contract. Namely, the shoulder seam is NOT set under the epaulet. Also the letter R next to the 36 on the tag is unusual (though not unheard of).

I've closely examined the stitching, and I can see a few spots where it looks like it has been reinforced. But overall the stitching looks original (singe thread/single hole). And all the materials are correct, as far as I can tell. The wool is a little crunchy, with a couple of small holes and home sewing kit repairs. The zipper is good and complete (thankfully). The leather is in great shape, with some age creases that indicate it had been stored folded for a long time.

One of my favorite parts of the jacket is the cut thread remains INSIDE the shoulder where the Lieutenant's bars had been removed.

I am really interested to know what you guys think about it.

Thanks,

JC

front.jpg

back.jpg

tag.jpg

zipper1.jpg

stencil.jpg

pocket.jpg

shoulder.jpg

zipper2.jpg

stencil detail.jpg

I like the jacket! Beautiful hide ...

looks like the waist knit was replaced based on the exposed stitch holes on the closeup of the zip...the split collar is odd...on the top side...but not unheard of ...

very nice

Thanks guys.

MANAYUNKMAN...I hate to say it but the FLASH on the camera adds a lot of red to the color of the jacket. It is more of a BROWN, and not so much a russet colored jacket.

PHANTOMFIXER... I hadn't really noticed that before about the waistband stitching. I took a closer look (see photo) there is some brown thread that extends up the pull side of the zipper for about 5". But the other side of the waistband / zipper looks to be single stitched with what I believe is the original (faded) OD thread that this manufacturer reportedly used. I think that there must have been some seam reinforcing down, and not a full blown waistband replacement...at least that is what I am seeing.

IMG_4337.jpg

You are absolutely right about those stitch holes ... there is some brown thread used on that (right hand) side of the jacket as well.

(Thanks again)

Great jacket and contract but I agree that the waist band has been replaced. A waist cuff replacement is not a dig on the jacket as this is a kosher repair on these jackets. I had to do cuffs on a crusty, painted one as they detracted too much. 

Have you had time to research the owner?

Dave

Dave,

I tried several resources that I found listed here on The Forum, including the NARA registry and came up with zippo. I think the National Archives are closed temporarily, but at some point I will follow up with a records request. If I understand correctly what I read on the NARA site, something like 35% of service records from WW2 are damaged or don't  exist. I tried looking up my grandfather and two uncles who all served during WW2 and I couldn't even find them (and I know their first names). So, I don't know...more (may) be revealed.

In the meantime, here is the full stencil from inside the jacket.

Stencil.jpg

Name Tape.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everybody who commented and made observations on this jacket. As I mentioned in my first post I don't collect anymore. If something fits me and I think I will actually use it or wear it, then I usually keep it. But space is limited and I move around a lot, so I have to let things go. The appreciation I have for fine vintage however runs deep. I started "collecting" back in the 1970's when I was kid digging through the (real) treasures of the local Army & Navy Surplus. (Schuler's Surplus in Northern California for anyone who is keeping score).

But before I move this jacket over to the FS section, I want to save and catalogue (for the collector's posterity) a couple more of the anomalies on this jacket. I was a denim dealer and collector for a long time so I spent the 1990's geeking out on all the minute differences in detail of a pair of Levi 501's from the late 1950's as opposed to the middle or early 1950's. And all though I've collected a lot of militaria, and specifically USN and USAAF / USAF Flight jackets, i never really got into the small details. And if it wasn't for this particular jacket, I it probably would have stayed that way.

So...Good Wear Leather comes appears to have the most information in one place on United Sheeplined Jackets. Everything else I found online basically repeated what was on that website. The lineage of I. Spiewak to Bronco to United is interesting. And maybe helps explain one of the biggest "un-Sheeplined" attributes that this jacket posses.

Ok, so let's get to the anomalies.

1)  The "R" on the size... unusual, but not unheard of

2) As Phantomfixer pointed on the collar is split (which I hadn't noticed). Again, unusual but not unheard of.

3) As I mentioned earlier the shoulder seam is NOT under the epaulet. According the internet, United Sheeplined did that. Accept, not on this jacket. On this jacket the seam is sewn just behind the epaulet, like on every other A-2 (according to the internet).

4) Again, just a weird thing, but the little paper/cloth tag in the pocket says that this is Size 44...believe me, it is not. It measures 19" across the chest.

5) What really saves this for me however is (again according to the internet) are the pockets. Only Bronco and United Sheeplined used beveled pockets, and of the two Sheeplined used a longer pocket flap...which this jacket has.

I owe a lot to THE FORUM over the years for helping figure out my left from my right. I hope that this collection of oddities on one jacket gives back and contributes some new information to the collectosphere.

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

Shouldn't have a problem as it displays well. The 36 size will likely limit it to those who want to display it as people don't appear to be getting any smaller in the near future.

Best of luck!