Looking for help on a Navy Shoulder patch? ID: USN Minecraft Personnel Yeoman

USMC-RECON0321

Salvage Sailor

PS - That's also a WWII "right arm" rating, but it's sewn on the left sleeve of the jumper

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks for the fast response.   Interesting.  What would you think a value would be on this if worth grabbing.  Not my collecting area, but the sale is local and has some other stuff I'm going after, so I'll be there anyway. 

Thanks again Troy 

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Troy,

If it's named (stenciled), $30 to $50 bucks retail.  With a name and serial number, it can be researched to identify any sea service with the "wooden ships and iron men" of the mineforces.  It would also allow you to add back any campaign ribbons and/or personal awards (gcm, etc.).  Being a Yeoman, he may have been assigned to staff or shore duty, but then again, each minesweeper usually had at least one yeoman in their complement.  With no 'ruptured duck' on this jumper, it was probably in his seabag when he was discharged and he may have been a 2nd or 1st class yeoman by then.

There ya go.....

USMC-RECON0321
4 minutes ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Aloha Troy,

If it's named (stenciled), $30 to $50 bucks retail.  With a name and serial number, it can be researched to identify any sea service with the "wooden ships and iron men" of the mineforces.  It would also allow you to add back any campaign ribbons and/or personal awards (gcm, etc.).  Being a Yeoman, he may have been assigned to staff or shore duty, but then again, each minesweeper usually had at least one yeoman in their complement.  With no 'ruptured duck' on this jumper, it was probably in his seabag when he was discharged and he may have been a 2nd or 1st class yeoman by then.

There ya go.....

Great, Thank you for your help!! 

PS - That's also a WWII "right arm" rating, but it's sewn on the left sleeve of the jumper

Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like a mid 1930s to 1941 rate. Yeoman became a left facing rate in May, 1941.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

With the quick build up of personnel in WWII sailors often had to use any uniform items they could get their hands on. For rating badges this included left over pre-1940 rating badges and many times, modified rating badges. I have multiple examples of professionally modified rating badges with changed specialty mark and "added" chevrons for promotions from, for example PO2 to PO1. I've also seen examples of the top rocker from a CPO rating badge removed to create a PO1 badge.