Opinions on red wool border II corps patch

Siamundo

Just curious what some other collectors might think of this patch. It seems a little 'off' to me. White inner border on the front glows as does stiff cheesecloth/gauze backing. It seems like a a lot of work, but I am curious if a regular fully embroidered II Corps patch might have had the border/edge cut off and then an outer red wool/felt sewn to it.

IMG_20201210_0001.jpg

IMG_20201210_0002.jpg

Looks like someone took a real II Corps patch and married it poorly to a poorly trimmed red felt border "ring". The added stabilizer gauze is another giveaway. If this were a Home Ec project, I'd give an F.

Every II Corps patch I have ever seen w/ a felt (usually wool) branch border is sewn to a solid felt backing, and there is no stabilizer gauze and no need for one.  

Agree with Dave 100%. The Engineer red border which most  incorrectly think is Artillery, only has been seen as fully embroidered atleast by me and I have been looking along time and if lucky you will find only as fully embroidered. By the way it is one of the hardest patches to find.

Mort

Was this or is this patch for sale from someone out of the NW?!?!! I believe I have seen this particular patch, even with the stain in/on the bottom area. The extra thread down by the lions foot too.  Had an orange bordered one also. Both look like junk up close.

It is possible it could have originated in the NW somewhere, although this patch was in a mixed lot of 30+ patches from a seller in Iowa.

While not a red bordered example, here are a couple of Cavalry related II Corps.  The top one is the style that Tredhead mentioned where the piece is sewn directly to a solid felt backing.  Below it is a variation that I picked up at the ASMIC show in 2013, it is a II Corps that has been embroidered to a piece of yellow cloth.

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, mortaydc60 said:

Agree with Dave 100%. The Engineer red border which most  incorrectly think is Artillery, only has been seen as fully embroidered atleast by me and I have been looking along time and if lucky you will find only as fully embroidered. By the way it is one of the hardest patches to find.

Mort

I just found your post. I didn’t realize it was a hard patch to find. I forgot I have one in my meager patch album. Pretty sure it’s legit plus it’s a greenback. 

Mike

0A855CC4-AE5D-4297-9ACF-257E6E9B9BE3.jpeg

84014253-E05A-4273-8A28-00A544C2E940.jpeg

Unfortunately, w/ that dark background, your patch looks orange. If it is indeed orange, your patch is for the 51st Signal Bn. The unit was an element of the 5th Army OOB in Feb 44, as was II Corps. 

Addtly, your patch is a GM patch w/ the border added.  

1 minute ago, tredhed2 said:

Unfortunately, w/ that dark background, your patch looks orange. If it is indeed orange, your patch is for the 51st Signal Bn. The unit was an element of the 5th Army OOB in Feb 44, as was II Corps. 

Addtly, your patch is a GM patch w/ the border added.  

Interesting. Thanks. with the patch being a little dirty, perhaps it has darkened the orange enough to make me think it was red. 

Hi Mike,

It is a nice patch but it is not the correct one. If I may explain the  difference; your example the orange border is ADDED to the patch. This was a common thing to add the branch color to a patch such as red for artillery, blue for infantry, etc. it does add value to a patch when it is theater added and yours is an very nice. What the article is about is patches made with the color border made with the patch it is integral,one piece not an addition.That changes the value alot. Hope this helps. To put valuation on it which most on forum are reluctant to do, here goes. Yours is $50 or so range while the rare version can be 250-400. I have been at this for 60 years so do not hesitate to ask questions about patches. Best of luck.

Mort