WWI NY State Service Medals

Blacksmith

Yes it is possible to id veterans who received NY Medals for SPANAM, WWI Service, and WWI home service. The Orders and Medals Society of America or OMSA has two volumes dedicated to the New York medals: https://www.omsa.org/books-sale-members/

For Merit, Service, and Valor: A History of Some New York Military Decorations and Awards and their Recipients (1915-1983) Vol. I and II.

By: Doug Boyce, Gary Hartman, and Nick McDowell.

That said there are so many gaps and mixed issues dates it is often discouraging at best.  LMK the medal # and I will see if it is listed in one of the volumes. However, if this is an ongoing project you may want to purchase a set for your own references.

Best regards,

John

54 minutes ago, BigJohn#3RD said:

Yes it is possible to id veterans who received NY Medals for SPANAM, WWI Service, and WWI home service. The Orders and Medals Society of America or OMSA has two volumes dedicated to the New York medals: https://www.omsa.org/books-sale-members/

For Merit, Service, and Valor: A History of Some New York Military Decorations and Awards and their Recipients (1915-1983) Vol. I and II.

By: Doug Boyce, Gary Hartman, and Nick McDowell.

That said there are so many gaps and mixed issues dates it is often discouraging at best.  LMK the medal # and I will see if it is listed in one of the volumes. However, if this is an ongoing project you may want to purchase a set for your own references.

Best regards,

John

Thank you so much John.  I only have one NY state medal, numbered 20921, as pictured.

I really appreciate your help.  

4CC1A91D-9578-42EE-AD1D-56AA0F42CE77.jpeg

No luck on who received medal 20921; There is a large gap between 20696 and 20955. You will note other gaps and the medals were issued in 1921. Do you have any info on where the medal came from?

John

IMG_1291.jpg.e843b543d207f43c9920b8704101e166.jpg

From page 113 of Vol. I,  For Merit, Service, and Valor: A History of Some New York Military Decorations and Awards and their Recipients (1915-1983) By: Doug Boyce, Gary Hartman, and Nick McDowell.

Hi John, the NY state medal came with a very small grouping of items, that included a WWI Victory Medal, a pair of WWI dog tags, an “AEF” lapel pin, and a couple of other smalls.  

I was trying to determine if the NY medal and the dog tags were to the same soldier, or had been put together over time.

Thank you again Sir.

• 7 months later...
Sumserbrown
On 12/11/2020 at 2:52 AM, BigJohn#3RD said:

No luck on who received medal 20921; There is a large gap between 20696 and 20955. You will note other gaps and the medals were issued in 1921. Do you have any info on where the medal came from?

John

IMG_1291.jpg.e843b543d207f43c9920b8704101e166.jpg

From page 113 of Vol. I,  For Merit, Service, and Valor: A History of Some New York Military Decorations and Awards and their Recipients (1915-1983) By: Doug Boyce, Gary Hartman, and Nick McDowell.

Hi John

I have three NY State medals and would be grateful if you could find any information on their recipients: 24915, 26440, 74261

many thanks in advance

Rob

1 hour ago, Sumserbrown said:

Hi John

I have three NY State medals and would be grateful if you could find any information on their recipients: 24915, 26440, 74261

many thanks in advance

Rob

Hi Rob-

Just checked...unfortunately, none of those are listed.

Dave

Sumserbrown
27 minutes ago, Dave said:

Hi Rob-

Just checked...unfortunately, none of those are listed.

Dave

That's a shame, but many thanks for checking - much appreciated.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, Orc said:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has the information of this New York conspicuous medal. 2330. Thanks!

EDDDBE35-B8DB-4E36-88D4-AC7D032AA8A0.jpeg

CDD8371A-E4B0-49B5-A34F-EAA8123261AA.jpeg

A64490A7-9160-4AC4-BDCB-35D8BB21999B.jpeg

NY CSC 2330 was issued to William R. Parr on 8/231946 - From Troy NY - Served in WWII with Company G 135th Infantry 34th Division

Bill

On 8/30/2021 at 11:48 PM, 1Ranger said:

Is there any chancethis medal is in the book and if so to whom?

20210607_214935.jpg

Not in the Rolls

Bill

3 hours ago, USMCR79 said:

Not in the Rolls

Bill

Bill,

I have one more to ID.

The help is very much appreciated.

3 hours ago, USMCR79 said:

Not in the Rolls

Bill

Jeff

Capture.JPG

• 6 months later...
gearhead1968

Could someone please look up State of New York medal #2913 and State of New York Aqueduct medal #672? Thanks

Shawn

On 5/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, gearhead1968 said:

Could someone please look up State of New York medal #2913 and State of New York Aqueduct medal #672? Thanks

Shawn

Neither medal are listed on the available rolls

Bill

• 5 months later...
Basic Rifleman

Could someone kindly look up New York State WWI Service Medal number 82587 for me? Also, does anyone know what the approximate issue date was on this one? Seems rather high....

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
militaryoutfitter

Any chance there is info on NY 7144 or 45722?  They came in a lot with a NYPD Victory Medal and small badge for the NYPD American Legion Post.  It would be great to know if one of these NY medals work out to a NY Cop.  Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, AxolotlHelmet said:

Could someone, if they don't mind, look up New York State Medal #22533?

Thanks!

22533 is not listed in the rolls

Bill

AxolotlHelmet
45 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

22533 is not listed in the rolls

Bill

Ah, shame. Thanks for checking anyway!

4 hours ago, AxolotlHelmet said:

Ah, shame. Thanks for checking anyway!

Were you asking about the WWI Medal or the NY Conspicuous Service Cross - I assumed "New York State Medal" meant the WWI state service medal

Bill