this just came in the mail this morning

gunner

this morning my ebay purchase arrived. it is my first korean war era canteen so i am not sure what to look for and i have never seen a canteen like this one. just making sure i didnt get burned.

it was cheap enough just want to make sure all is right, thanks!

the canteen holster has world war two style snaps (not sure what those are called) and a metal hanger in back, the canteen has a strange seam and is dated in the front rather than on the bottom... it reads US MIRRO 1954. the cup has a gold oily looking handle marked U.S. VOLLRATH 1956 on the handle rather than the bottom like my 1944 date vollrath canteen and cup.

post-3483-1232829324.jpg

post-3483-1232829336.jpg

Nothing wrong with the canteen but it's obviously made after the Korean war and would be correct for an early Vietnam display.

I think it's safe to say that most canteens used in the Korean war era are WWII dated.

There where WWII canteens floating around Reserve, National Guard, ROTC Units and Military Schools all the way into the 70"s.

Regards

John

thanks everyone i was nervous because it came rapped in a newspaper from some asian country and the only canteen i had seen with seams like this was a japanese immitation so i got freaked out... and haha this is for my early vietnam web gear... im switching to a m56 cotton canteen holster with alice clips for display and save this one because its a set... i was told that the metal hangers were only for marines. and my set up is army. its almost complete il post pics when im done.

is it true i should not use the metal hanger canteen holster for early army nam?