WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches

[email protected]

Wed 12/9/2020 12:26 PM

To:

You

Your listing was removed: Offensive material policy
Hello worldwarpatches,

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Offensive material policy. Listings that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination aren’t allowed.

What activity didn't follow the policy

You listed an item that bears a swastika, SS runes, the Nazi totenkopf, an Iron Cross, the Wolfsangel or other Nazi symbols or was an item associated with the Nazi Party or the Hitler Youth. Items bearing Nazi symbols are highly restricted on eBay with very limited exception. We understand these items have great collectible value, but due to the sensitive nature of the events from this time period, we have made the decision not to allow them on the site. Please do not relist this item and block this item in your listing feed.

What you need to do next

You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy

- Listings that promote, perpetuate, or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination, including on the grounds of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, aren’t allowed. This includes, but isn't limited to, the following:
-- Slurs or epithets of any kind
-- Items, including figurines, cartoons, housewares, historical advertisements, and golliwogs with racist, anti-Semitic, or otherwise demeaning portrayals, for example through caricatures or other exaggerated features
-- Black Americana items that are discriminatory
-- Slavery items, including reproductions, such as tags, shackles, documents, bills of sale, etc.
-- Confederate battle flag and related items with its image
-- Historical Holocaust-related items, including reproductions
-- Any item that is anti-Semitic or any item from after 1933 that bears a swastika
-- Media identified as Nazi propaganda
-- Listings that imply or promote support of, membership in, or funding of a terrorist organization
- When offering shipping to other countries, make sure to first check our International trading policy to verify that your item is allowed

How this affects your account

Because you may not have been aware of this policy, we're sending this notice to educate you about it and ask that you follow this policy in the future.

Listings that didn't follow this policy have been ended. Any insertion fees have been credited back to your account.

Listings that don't follow this policy in the future will be ended.

Why we have this policy

This policy helps ensure that our marketplace promotes trust and respect, and follows  government regulations.

More information and help

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/offensive-materials-policy?id=4324

Listings not following policy

353313008915 - German Made Bullion US Army Nuremberg War Crime Trials Patch Inv# B496

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email. 

WorldWarPatches

I called and explained the patch and got this reply to my appeal>

[email protected]

Wed 12/9/2020 3:00 PM

To:

You

Additional information about your Offensive Materials Policy listing removal SR# 1-292776332363

Hello Patrick,

It was great having the chance to briefly speak with you this afternoon. I appreciate you allowing us to perform an additional review on the US Army Nuremberg War Crime Trials Patch. I heard back even sooner than expected, but it's not quite the results that we were hoping for.

We know that it's a US patch, but the reason it is prohibited is because of the bearing of the swastika. eBay decided that these items are not appropriate for our marketplace, because most buyers on eBay aren't aware of the history associated with your item, and only take notice of the swastika. We agree these items have great collectible value, but due to the sensitive nature of the events from this time period, we have made the decision not to allow them on the site

We understand that you meant no offense whatsoever by listing this item, and really appreciate that you chose eBay to add to the stellar collection of patches on your eBay store, but we ask that you do not relist it moving forward. Please know that this removal was just a warning, and no negative action been taken on your account.

I trust this clears things up, but should you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out through phone, or by replying to this email. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Domanique

eBay Merchant Support

So rather than the opportunity to educate people on the significance of this patch, let's just ban it!! I for one am sick of cancel culture. "Won't someone think of the children?!" 

17 minutes ago, R. Watkins said:

I've persoanlly had it with the sites political correctness.

Can anyone recommend reliable eBay alternatives?

Rodger that. 

Sell here. Doesn't have the reach out and grab you power that Ebay has but no listing fees and you don't have to argue with a pimple faced, change the world, robot employee.

Ken

To dog pile whipping a dead horse.... I listed an original web and leather MG34 carry sling. An 80 year old piece of 3/4 wide webbing with two sewn leather ends and a pair of hooks. Ebay removed it because it's a machine gun part and a second offense will get me banned. And a pic of the evil offender...

IMG_2743.JPG

On 12/9/2020 at 3:08 PM, 6th.MG.BN said:

Rodger that. 

Sell here. Doesn't have the reach out and grab you power that Ebay has but no listing fees and you don't have to argue with a pimple faced, change the world, robot employee.

Ken

Thanks for reminding me of this Ken. I completely forgot that this site alows for direct selling. I will remember this next time.

Airborne-Hunter

Let me provide a translation for the ebay speak:

"Someone complained and we took it down. Facts/circumstances don't matter. My job is to wear you down and make you go away. Please go away. Also, because your account now has a "history" with this policy violation you will be further targeted in the future on an unequal basis to other sellers. Thank you for paying ebay extortion money fees. Have a nice day."

FB has its own issues and this patch would likely be pulled down there too. 

ABN 

16 minutes ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

Let me provide a translation for the ebay speak:

"Someone complained and we took it down. Facts/circumstances don't matter. My job is to wear you down and make you go away. Please go away. Also, because your account now has a "history" with this policy violation you will be further targeted in the future on an unequal basis to other sellers. Thank you for paying ebay extortion money fees. Have a nice day."

FB has its own issues and this patch would likely be pulled down there too. 

ABN 

I agree facebook would most likely take this patch down too. 

I try to not comment on these topics, but it’s my third time reading this one, and I am frail I guess.  

That said, I am incredulous as to why the forum seems like a last resort for some sellers.

People whine and whimper about other experiences, but keep going back.  Then come rant again, then go back.

If it’s all about $$$ to you, and you can’t sleep unless you feel like you’ve squeezed every dime out of something, then consider that there are no fees on USMF, no sales tax, no nothing.  What is that, 20% total?  More?

More importantly - in my opinion - you are amongst a like-minded community, that is providing for the future of our hobby and preserving history. 

Bottom line, the first bad experience you have somewhere is a ‘place’ problem.  Every one after that is squarely on YOU.

it’s hard for me to be sympathetic on this.

It's a two-edged sword. I have some things that I don't have the expertise to price, hence it's off to eBay where the market solves that problem. I'm not an insignia collector but I've picked up quite a bit of insignia at estate sales, flea markets, etc. that I want to sell at fair prices but I don't know what a fair price is and I can't post on the forum asking "how much should I ask for this patch?" and then list it for sale. It may even be against the rules to do so. Forums will call you out when you try to sell something too high but keep quiet when you sell something for way too little. Fair is the critical issue for me.

1 hour ago, Dave G said:

It's a two-edged sword. I have some things that I don't have the expertise to price, hence it's off to eBay where the market solves that problem. I'm not an insignia collector but I've picked up quite a bit of insignia at estate sales, flea markets, etc. that I want to sell at fair prices but I don't know what a fair price is and I can't post on the forum asking "how much should I ask for this patch?" and then list it for sale. It may even be against the rules to do so. Forums will call you out when you try to sell something too high but keep quiet when you sell something for way too little. Fair is the critical issue for me.

Dave G, While I like the large marketplace, I'm moving away from selling on eBay because of the fees and restrictions.  However, and more to your point, I use the eBay advanced search to research the realized prices.  If your selling a lot, you can also pay for a subscription to Worthpoint.   

15 hours ago, CNY Militaria said:

Good alternative to ebay if you’re on Facebook and choose not to sell here is this page on Facebook with may of our members and where people make you offers:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/368647170717731/?tsid=0.1502110748247667&source=result

I will echo this.  The Facebook group shown has worked well for me.... give it a try...it is also real simple.

2 hours ago, Dave G said:

...and I can't post on the forum asking "how much should I ask for this patch?" and then list it for sale. It may even be against the rules to do so.

Mmmm...  no?  Maybe a moderator can chime in, but I see people do this all the time here - to wit, post an item in “what’s it worth?”, then list it for sale.  I feel like that’s how it’s supposed to work.  

As to your point on silence when too cheap, and chiding when too expensive, I don’t know that I see a bunch of under-priced stuff anywhere.  :)  

If something is over-priced, then “BTTs” with reductions usually get it there.  I don’t think it’s any trade secret to say folks generally start high on asking price - you can always come down.  However, if I am always the guy pricing my stuff at 2x market, I should know that eventually people stop looking.

Beast makes a couple of good points on SOLD completed auction prices as a reference.  I capitalized “sold”, as those are very different than asking price.  

And just my personal philosophy, but if I find a $20 item for $5 at a yard sale, I’m happy selling it for $10.  I make a 100% profit, and pass an item to a fellow collector at an attractive price.  I don’t have to “shoot the moon” on everything I sell.  Honestly, break-even is what happens often for me, and I’m good with that.  The market continues to soften on most collectables, including militaria, so I shouldn’t expect to get what I paid 10-15 years ago.  

Another consideration of this ecosystem is the need for new collectors.  There’s been plenty of topics, anguishing over the slow / absent influx of younger collectors.  At the same time, we’re pricing them out, hence driving down demand.

So, by inflating prices, we’re actually destroying value - reminder, prices and value are not the same thing.  Sellers set prices, and buyers determine value.  

Practically-speaking, if you make a sweet deal to a fellow collector, that may drive more interest and enjoyment, which is connected to perceived value.

Hey Dave, you can post items on here under collection assistance/what it’s worth and have many people give you fair evaluations. This would be a good starting point to list the item under the for sale section later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suwanneetrader

MT247  is correct  The Forum actually has a section devoted to asking what is it and/or what is it worth?  For selling American Militaria  Forum is very good.   As long as you make a profit and it goes to a fellow collector  Both seller and buyer win.  Richard

vintageproductions

It's Ebay's rules.

They say no Swastika's and they have zero tolerance for it.

Sure some listings sneak through, but the vast majority get stopped.

I had this fight with Ebay year's ago over one of the Hitler's Hearths that the 101st association sold. Guess what? Didn't win so just listed it someplace else and it sold for more money then I expected.

Plus Pat, you have a website, just list it there.

Hey Blacksmith this is sage advice and outlookbelow ..I follow the same rules. Seems as though some individuals want to retire off their militaria sales.

“And just my personal philosophy, but if I find a $20 item for $5 at a yard sale, I’m happy selling it for $10.  I make a 100% profit, and pass an item to a fellow collector at an attractive price.  I don’t have to “shoot the moon” on everything I sell.  Honestly, break-even is what happens often for me, and I’m good with that.  The market continues to soften on most collectables, including militaria, so I shouldn’t expect to get what I paid 10-15 years ago.”