Opinions on period for this hand camouflaged helmet

ArchangelDM

Evening all ! Or good morning 

A good friend of mine sent me this helmet and my question is, what period do you think It could be from

The Dark burnt orange and black is something I have seen in the MTO and the pacific but it’s a rear seam so could it be Korean War or even Vietnam. 

The paint is a typical hand camo with think paint on a wide brush, paint shows wear and correct period age and I really like the overall character of it. 

so what’s your opinion on period of use 

TIA

- Dean 

A68A2C7E-CCB2-475E-8AF2-FD2C50A3D213.jpeg

F9A7F5A5-0E5E-4C43-8D4A-EFD6CE16D48C.jpeg

83DE74F4-8FE7-4BAE-BABA-D00529434D83.jpeg

DA044872-83DA-4942-AC70-73EF73A2601F.jpeg

72534CD7-9DDB-4336-831E-66374B6EF89D.jpeg

16C60767-7F1F-4195-8C5C-D521542050DE.jpeg

3799F8EB-985A-43DF-B344-D439F61AF092.jpeg

Hi Dean.

Thats wild ! It looks like pictures of helmets Ive seen used in the Pacific Theater. Army. 

?

4 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Now that's a nice looking lid, definitely looks like ww2 camo.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Thanks Bill, 

I also really like the look and character of this one. 

40 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Hi Dean.

Thats wild ! It looks like pictures of helmets Ive seen used in the Pacific Theater. Army. 

?

I agree ☝🏻 Dave 

20 minutes ago, MattS said:

I can't comment on the paint, but it appears to be a rear seam (loops are not shown) shell with khaki straps, so late WW2.

correct - rear seam so late WW2 

so maybe late pacific 

BILL THE PATCH

It's possible I guess, I mean the 86th div was there until 46-47 I believe. And I read somewhere they were fighting japanese holdouts way into 1946. I would think that would be enough time

15 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

It's possible I guess, I mean the 86th div was there until 46-47 I believe. And I read somewhere they were fighting japanese holdouts way into 1946. I would think that would be enough time

you are correct, pockets of resistance kept fighting into 46. The camo for sure is of the period so I guess that is very plausible. 

12 minutes ago, gap said:

Well that’s encouraging! 

indeed, also after doing some digging, that burnt orange is also on another of my helmets and one from the internet. Helmet No 2 belongs to circa 1941. This helmets camo colour matches near perfect 
So im now sure it’s a WW2 colour and camo. 

E1632F44-F4FB-48FD-814D-596EA8313908.jpeg

175B91A4-0D6C-4F09-AC82-D1AFAD1B7D48.jpeg

Please check out this youtube link...  Its in B&W its a war department film. 

Start at 5:52 and put it in slow motion. Its in B@W but some of the lids have the same style camo

painted ON THEM. You can get some screen grabs from there.

Cheers !

Dave

Great spot Dave ! Tons of camo helmets, with this type of hand camouflage. What a great video 

Thankyou for posting that my Friend 

303D4800-9D4C-41EB-A2D7-C72CC03FA587.png

95B1E504-6946-4646-AAEB-6D07EE339E44.png

CFE6BC9C-578B-40AB-9E3E-CE1562AD14E3.png

I'd say that's good evidence that these helmets were worn by the 81st Infantry Division (Wildcats) from 1944-45. Not to exclude other units, but color photos of the 81st in action would certainly help.

After completion of amphibious and jungle training, the 81st Infantry Division departed for Guadalcanal in August 1944. There the division was attached to the III Marine Amphibious Corps reserve.[10]In September 1944 the 321st and 322nd Infantry Regiment of the 81st Infantry Division performed a combat landing on Angaur Islandas part of the operations to secure the Palau Islands chain. After finishing the battle of Angaur, the 81st Infantry Division was ordered to assist the 1st Marine Division in their efforts to seize Peleliu. The 81st Infantry Division eventually relieved the 1st Marine Division, and assumed command of combat operations on Peleliu. The 81st Infantry Division remained engaged in the Battle of Peleliu until the end of organized Japanese resistance on 18 January 1945. In early February 1945, the 81st Infantry Division sailed to New Caledonia to rest and refit. In May 1945, the 81st Infantry Division was deployed to the Philippines to take part in mopping up operations on Leyte Island, and to prepare for the planned invasion of Japan. After the end of World War II, the 81st Infantry Division deployed to Aomori Prefecture in Japan as part of the Allied occupation force. The 81st Infantry Division was inactivated in Japan on 30 January 1946.

So late 43 - 44 for the rear seam swivel bail would give enough time for it to be used and seen in 1945 for the campaigns of the 81st infantry. 

57 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

So late 43 - 44 for the rear seam swivel bail would give enough time for it to be used and seen in 1945 for the campaigns of the 81st infantry. 

Especially considering they probably received all new issue gear stateside before leaving CONUS for training in Hawaii in June of 1944.

33 minutes ago, MattS said:

Especially considering they probably received all new issue gear stateside before leaving CONUS for training in Hawaii in June of 1944.

well it’s making lots of sense, as I’m yet to see a Korean or Vietnam painted helmet like this with that burnt orange colour and camo. A pacific setting makes perfect sense for it. 

4 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

My understanding is that rear seam was late 1944, not late 1943? 

Here is another angle on that

"The “rim seam” refers to where the ends of the reinforcing strip of metal protecting the bottom edge of the helmet meet together. From 1941 to late 1943, the seam met in the front center edge of the steel helmet."

So late 43... Sept Oct Nov Dec ???