background in photo

cashman

Here is a pic that has written on the back, " At rest, Ft. Lane Oregon, time 12:30, February 14, 1943" It was probably taken by my dad and I'm wondering if any of you guys know where this pic might have been taken? The box the soldier is holding says Nestley on it. Is that Table Rock in the background? Thanks for any info!!!

tablerock1.jpg

Found this view of table Rock among someone's vacation photos. If it is the same location, there appears to be significant erosion since 1943. Perhaps you can enlarge your photo and compare details.

post-211-1232831777.jpg

just had a quick look on google maps but the street view doesnt seem to cover the roads closer to table rock, it may do in the near future, if or when it does you should be able to tell roughly from the time the photo was taken and where the shadows from the sun are being cast, where they were in relation to the rock, they may be closer or looking at the other side of the rock than in the second picture.

Thanks for all the info!!! seige, looks like your photo was taken close to the same place. After looking at SAT images, it may be Upper Table Rock in the background? And it's probably along side of a road since there are telephone poles visable. Again thanks for all the info!!!

I love figuring out where something was taken and finding another newer photo of it.. Here's mine.. Found while looking up info on the original photo.. Talofofo Bay in Guam.. Taken by a GI in 1945, and a tourist in 2004 or so.. Looks to be from about the same spot too..

Fins..

post-4106-1232994898.jpg

post-4106-1232994904.jpg

1st.Div. That is an interesting photo!!! I also have been interested in photo's like that. My dad had a pic of him made in 1945 in Manila standing in front of what's left of the Government building after the liberation and I've always wanted to go there and have my pic made at that same spot. Thanks!!!

1st.Div. That is an interesting photo!!! I also have been interested in photo's like that. My dad had a pic of him made in 1945 in Manila standing in front of what's left of the Government building after the liberation and I've always wanted to go there and have my pic made at that same spot. Thanks!!!

The old legislature building?? I've got a couple pics of downtown Manila taken at the end of the war.. Man.. Those were some messed up buildings.

Fins.

Here is a RARE photograph that showed up in the back of a soldiers photo album. He was a professional photographer himself and when he was on New Caledonia, he acquired this image. It is signed by the noted photographer, Alphonse Roüel, and dated 6 April 1944. The caption is "Towers of Our Lady." Below is a present-day shot.

post-211-1233025975.jpg

post-211-1233026037.jpg