Christmas came early! China Marine officers hat with Fire Bronze P1926 "Goonie" EGA

6th.MG.BN

I did feel like a kid at Christmas opening the package this afternoon. I wish I could've found a name in the hat but, no.

When I removed the officer's P1927 "goonie" EGA I was pleasantly surprised to find the Meyer maker mark and "Fire Bronze" marking.

The hat shows wear and some staining and like I mentioned is unnamed.

Ken

DSC00160.JPG

DSC00162.JPG

DSC00168.JPG

DSC00172.JPG

DSC00174.JPG

DSC00161.JPG

In addition to that magnificent emblem, the picture of the cap is interesting in another respect.  The cap has on it the model 1937 chin strap (though the hat itself looks earlier, which is normal)  The point I wish to make is, assuming the EGA was on that cap  when it was last worn in service, you have that emblem being worn rather late, anywhere from 1937 on as long as that style of cap, with the brown color, was worn.  It's not uncommon to see the droop wing EGAs being worn on the collar after 1937, especially for enlisted men, but most unusual to see a droop wing officer's EGA being worn that late. (Yes, it uncommon to see any officer cap size EGAs being worn.)

So, no big revelation, but just another detail to notice.

Steve

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words. I had a hard time sleeping last night, I didn't want to roll over and crush the hat! 

Ken

7 hours ago, b_hinch said:

Who's your Santa Claus? That's a jaw-dropper ...

It wasn't the Santa who wouldn't give the boy the nerf gun for Christmas. Haha.

Ken

5 hours ago, themick said:

In addition to that magnificent emblem, the picture of the cap is interesting in another respect.  The cap has on it the model 1937 chin strap (though the hat itself looks earlier, which is normal)  The point I wish to make is, assuming the EGA was on that cap  when it was last worn in service, you have that emblem being worn rather late, anywhere from 1937 on as long as that style of cap, with the brown color, was worn.  It's not uncommon to see the droop wing EGAs being worn on the collar after 1937, especially for enlisted men, but most unusual to see a droop wing officer's EGA being worn that late. (Yes, it uncommon to see any officer cap size EGAs being worn.)

Steve

Steve, I have to admit I didn't even notice the later pattern chin strap until you mentioned it.

I wish there was a name in the hat to help put a timeline of wear of this hat and EGA to see if they were worn into the 1930's?

Thanks for the observation.

Ken

8 hours ago, themick said:

Steve

Here is a quick shot of the same model hat (a Horstmann product) with the thinner chin strap. Ken, I laid awake all night also thinking of your cap and ega. I think the only right thing to do here is for you and I to swap ega's so both caps align with the regs.🥴 

In all seriousness, because these were officers items and private purchase, it is not too hard to imagine different model ega's appearing on hats of later or earlier vintage. On mine for instance, maybe it was purchased with an earlier ega and later updated to a later one (or of course more likely changed by a collector over the years). On yours, I understand those droop wings were not at all popular, so it is not too hard to imagine a retailer trying to pass them off on a later cap or those ega's sitting in a case perhaps years afterward. I doubt they were all gathered up at once and stuck in storage once the regs changed. Maybe a black Friday sale in 1939 to get rid of them? Just my two cents. Regardless of course, just a magnificent find you have there. Kevin

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

You won the trifecta of EGA collecting: Officers 1926 Service Droopy, Hallmarked (Meyer) and Fire Bronze. A EGA that would be happy to feature in any collection and/or book. S/F

4 hours ago, warguy said:

Here is a quick shot of the same model hat (a Horstmann product) with the thinner chin strap. Ken, I laid awake all night also thinking of your cap and ega. I think the only right thing to do here is for you and I to swap ega's so both caps align with the regs.🥴 

In all seriousness, because these were officers items and private purchase, it is not too hard to imagine different model ega's appearing on hats of later or earlier vintage. On mine for instance, maybe it was purchased with an earlier ega and later updated to a later one (or of course more likely changed by a collector over the years). On yours, I understand those droop wings were not at all popular, so it is not too hard to imagine a retailer trying to pass them off on a later cap or those ega's sitting in a case perhaps years afterward. I doubt they were all gathered up at once and stuck in storage once the regs changed. Maybe a black Friday sale in 1939 to get rid of them? Just my two cents. Regardless of course, just a magnificent find you have there. Kevin

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

Kevin,

You make a good point, except the part about swapping EGA's.

It's one of those things that the true history of hat and EGA mating up is lost to time.

Ken

59 minutes ago, Dozer521 said:

You won the trifecta of EGA collecting: Officers 1926 Service Droopy, Hallmarked (Meyer) and Fire Bronze. A EGA that would be happy to feature in any collection and/or book. S/F

I couldn't agree more. It wasn't until I received the hat and removed the EGA that I discovered the Meyer mark and Fire Bronze marking.

Ken

• 3 months later...