Original GAR 3BN badges?

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

I have seen photos of three different variations of the Grand Army of the Republic's 3rd Battalion badge. None of them came with concrete proof that they were original. I do believe original 3BN badges existed and were the forerunners of the National Encampment badges that are sought after by Civil War collectors. However, to date, I have yet to see an example which comes with rock solid provenance for its authenticity.

3BN_1_300.jpg

3BN_2_300.jpg

3BN_3_300.jpg

Does anyone have any opinions on these three different badges? Does anyone have any information on honest, original examples of 3BN badges?

Kevin

• 5 years later...

These are original badges. The enameled ones were made by the w.t. Hayward Co of N.Y. The other two shown on top are from the GAR badge company. Private jewelers also made some of these badges. Demerest got the contract from the GAR to make membership badges in 1869. These are know as the MOH style badge.

Peter M. Coulton

CWVHA charter member #15

OMSA 7443

Thank you for that information. I am not familiar with W.T. Hayward Co. Did they make these badges between 1865 and 1869? Did they use a makers mark? Are the badges made of gold, or was some other type of metal used?

I really would love to learn more about the earliest of G.A.R. membership badges. I cannot honestly say that I have put sufficient energy into researching them myself. But, it does surprise me that in the last 149 year no one else has come forth with documentation.

Kevin

Thank you for that information. I am not familiar with W.T. Hayward Co. Did they make these badges between 1865 and 1869? Did they use a makers mark? Are the badges made of gold, or was some other type of metal used?

I really would love to learn more about the earliest of G.A.R. membership badges. I cannot honestly say that I have put sufficient energy into researching them myself. But, it does surprise me that in the last 149 year no one else has come forth with documentation.

Kevin

Kevin,

I am working closely with Roger Heiple whom at one time wrote the Great Republic a newsletter for GAR collectors about a book on GAR badges. He has written a whole chapter about the 3BN badges and Ribbons. In his newsletters he had lots of articles about the 3BN badges. If you join the Civil War Veterans Historical Association. You can have access to our newsletter and Roger's old newletter's online. The web address is WWW.CWVHA.ORG We meet once a year at Mansfield Ohio @ the Ohio Civil War Show on the first week end of May. We have banquet on Saturday evening after the show back the hotel. It is open to anyone. The cost is $25 per head /BYOB. We usually have a guest speaker.

Hope this helps

I will post a photo of my Hayward badge later this week, when I get a chance to get a friend whom has a very good camera to come take a picture of it.

I just received a very rare variant badge, of the MOH style badge today. It is a 1869 Demarest badge.

But, the patented date (on the back of the badge) is on the star point at seven o'clock position. Not at Six o'clock where it is suppose to be. I have nine of MOH badges none of the others are like this. I spoke with Roger. Whom has been collecting GAR items for over 50+ years and he has never seen one either.

Looks Like I got a real sleeper/winner

Regards

Peter