Documenting Your Collection

dmar836

Perhaps it's been covered elsewhere but how do you document your collection? Not necessarily for insurance(riders are quite limiting), but I would like to log all my AAF items. 

Of concern is some parts of a grouping might be displayed while other parts of that grouping, papers or otherwise, remain in storage. Not sure if I should assign a number to each main item then have a master sheet with all associated items sharing that number or what.

Certainly my collection isn't the largest but I hate the idea that after my time there isn't a logical way someone could join up parts of a grouping prior to them moving on.

Ascension numbers are used in museums and I suppose there is a way to link parts that way?

Any ideas?

Dave 

KC

tdogchristy90

I’ve seen people use spread sheets. If we’re talking a numbering system, here’s an example you could use....

98. - the year acquired.

.001 - the first group of that year

(the bobby collection)

.01 - the number of the first item in that group. 
(A watch in the bobby collection)

Just an idea. 

Yeah. That sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone else done this? 

Trust me, even if your collection is small, it's better to start documenting before having a room of the stuff.

Dave

tdogchristy90

It’s the system we used at the archive I worked at. Each group/collection/item got its own number. The items themselves were either individually tagged or for example on photos, had the number written on the back in pencil. 

These collections then usually correspond to some sort of spread sheet or a physical master file that had the information about said collection.

Yeah. That makes good sense. It would work to inform the viewer that there are other items associated regardless of which piece on the group is viewed. 
Thanks!

Dave

A year after I retired from the US Army, August 1990, I went to Fayetteville Technical Community College, and after three years, obtain an Associate’s Degree in Computer Programming.  The following September I attended Campbell University at Buies Creek, NC.  After two straight years, I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration in the field of Computer Information Systems.  One of the requirements to graduate in the CIS field was to write a program in any language.  I wrote a program, using Dbase 5, to catalog my collection, and I got an A+ for the program.  I designed the program for my Engineer collection, which included anything you could think of that involved the Corps of Engineers.  To entered a new item, I created fields for the identification, type of insignia (cloth, DUI, metal badges [fire department, diver badges, nuclear badges, hat badges, etc], collar insignias, flags, uniform, paper documents, and miscellaneous) and the period of time that the item was used.   I created codes for manufacture for metal items, types of fasteners, types of collar disks, unit locations for both enlisted and officers collar insignias (over, on, or over castle).  Needless to say, the program was as complete as I could make it.  I also made it so any branch could be used.  The only problem was digital cameras were not available to add pictures.  Around 1998 or 1999 I was able to purchase the Visual Dbase program in order to add pictures to the program but I was not able to complete the program and I have since reduced my Engineer collection.  I still have the book that was turned in that included a user’s manual and the source code.  I also designed various documents for inventory that included where and when I obtained the item, including who I obtained the item from if a person or from a business,  and the cost of the item.  I had documentation for repairs, cleaning, and display location (very intensive).  To graduate, we had to turn in both documentation and a disk with the codes to run the program to the chief instructor to grade.  And it took two years to design and develop the program and then write the documentation.

Wow. That's an impressive endeavor. I can see that as necessary - especially for insignia collecting and other small items. I have built spreadsheets but it's been years. The picture thing is an excellent idea.

My collection is large to the layperson but small by many standards. I'll enclose a pic. My big fears are forgetting what items go with what as groupings are often displayed only in part, and secondly that my wife or others would have little success in reuniting all the parts without documentation "help".

I had started putting 3x5 cards in the front pockets of tunics with name and what other items came with that tunic. I would like it to work both ways that a visor cap or photograph would contain info tracing it back to the tunic and grouping. Detailed 3x5 cards on every piece would work but could be cumbersome.  A centralized database with all items and a simple ascension number would likely be faster, better for future tracking(for the wife if something happens to me), and make for smaller tags. A less complicated program for we, the illiterate, could include digital photos for reference. I think hand-entry would not be a bad idea to remind me and my wife what is actually there.

Thanks guys. Your great ideas are coming together into a great system.  Thank you!

Dave

War Room 1.jpg

room 2.jpg

War Room 3.jpg

KISS principle applies.

{Keep it simple, stupid}.....an old computer programming term.

I use tie-on paper tags to tag all major components of a group....jacket, trousers, hats, puttees/leggins, footwear, etc.

Then I usually write up an index along with any back-story and put it in a jacket pocket.  

Not computerized, but it works fine.  

Most of the time I keep everything stored together,...be it in clothing bags, boxes, totes, or whatever is appropriate; unless the condition of something does not allow it.

Here are three examples of the inventory documents that I designed.  The small boxes, such as Category, Time Period, ASMIC Catalog, Hallmark, Fastener, etc, were developed for codes to save space.  I had also wrote a program to print a complete inventory listing that used complete descriptions and not abbreviations.  For the pictures, the boxes were designed to accept pictures using the maximum size of 3.55 X 2.9 inches, so when I scanned the item, the maximum height was 2.9 or for the width, 3.55.  Biggest problem I have is keeping up the inventory with my purchases or trades

DI Inventory Document.jpg

PP Inventory Document.jpg

BI Inventory Document.jpg

Most museums use Past Perfect software, it is expensive but does everything that you could ever need to include photos, appraisal, location, condition, donor, temporary location, history, etc... Otherwise, just do what works for you and your family.   Scott

dhcoleterracina

I collect, in part, US flags. One looks like another most times. I attach a small tag to each flag that I want to log (some aren't needed) with diaper pins. The tags are white paper circles with a metal ring about one inch across that I buy from Wal Mart. Some flags have family info that I preserve in the log. Sometimes the narrative goes on for pages.  It's also important to log what was paid. If the flag is in a group then those items are logged as well and sometimes I can tag those items too. It works and it won't ever crash where I lose the info forever.