My first Hawley

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Picked this up from a local seller. My first Hawley with fixed bail shell!

The lip of the Hawley is a touch chipped. The leather chip strap is gone. 

Front seam, fixed bail.  I can not find a heat stamp in the shell. Someone point me in the right direction to locate it. 

62906841969__AC2B2E68-F9CB-4A20-A592-60E4DAC5BE3D.jpg

Hawley 1.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

Very nice pick up! It always amazes me that these Hawleys managed to survive. I had the same reaction as Mike when I got my first Hawley.

The first hawley liner I got was a crumbled mess in a helmet off the USS San Francisco. So I wont count it. But when I got my real intact first Hawley earlier this year

I felt the same way about it. I still do. You have a real nice one for your first one!

Congratulations !!!

Congrats, looks like a nice one!  

I remember my first as well, picked it up at a vets estate sale about 20 years ago. The vet had turned a really clean fixed bail shell and hawley liner into a lamp. Drilled a 1/2" hole right through the top of both and mounted the lamp hardware through it.  After I got it home i was able to remove the lamp hardware and it ended up displaying relatively well. 

Very nice lid and the Hawley is not too bad. If you're lucky it might have a little bit of leather left on the connectors for the chinstrap. Good luck finding one with the permanent chinstrap all there much less in good condition. Does it have the ink stamp intact? As for the heat stamp I assume you know where it should be since you know about them. Inside the shell near the front. Likely in front of or on the curve. I can't see the spot welds but the bails strongly suggest a McCord as they are square and not rounded at all. The only time I am aware that something might be elsewhere is the rare Schluter with the S near a bail instead the front. Sometimes they are so faint you can barely see them. I would expect you could see at least part of it since there's no repaint but if it's faint and the paint is so intact it may just be filled in. As for surviving the war a lot of these saw early action in the Pacific. It's not uncommon that the rare documented lids of high ranking officers have early liners like hawleys since they did not fight on the line. Also, since they were considered inadequate before they were even being made, no other option yet, they were replaced early on. You'll see early war movies like Guadalcanal Diaries are full of nos hawleys in the shells since the prop houses were able to et their hands on this obsolete equipment before the war was even over. 

easterneagle87

FOUND the heat stamp!!!  47B3

Looking behind the web head band. With the front lip being at the 6 o'clock position, At the 1:30ish position to the right of the double snap attachments, there is a "CE". Is that it? 

One other issue, the double snap at the 7 o'clock position has pulled out of the leather portion of the sweatband.  

• 5 weeks later...

Lovely helmet! First time I have seen a suffix number (3) all the way up to the actual number (47B). Usually there is a little space between them.