HGU-2/P rescue to restore...

viking73

Hi Gents - 

Here is my latest helmet purchase.  I wasn't really looking for one but saw this helmet and the price was right so I just had to buy it :)  I really like the early reflective tape added these helmets, the original owner was possibly an ADC interceptor pilot.  And since I didn't have one in my collection...  You get the idea!

She's in rough shape but I can replace the missing and damaged parts pretty easily.  The gold visor is very interesting, I am pretty bummed that it is cracked in half.  I don't think those were very common?

kmEhv82.jpg

Looks like the name "BONDS" was tape there at one point.

XxYecnR.jpg

Of course the interior is a mess...

VSGTUu6.jpg

Here are some side views:

oBzmurM.jpg

EKnBuMO.jpg

The spec tag is long gone as well...

Thanks for looking, I'll be sure to post some "after" photos when I have them.

-Derek

Really nice find, and as you said, pretty easy to restore for it doesn't lack many equipments (and not amongst the most expensive either).

The patina is gorgeous, and the taping really characteristic of USAF fighters of this era. I've seen very similar decorative patterns on HGU-2s, here and here for example (the second was sold in France not long ago and resembles very much the one you own, so the picture might hopefully be of help).

I like it !

Many clues point to an HGU-2A/P, you've got the spring-mounted H-154/AIC headset and all the strings / studs external retentions, a Gentex plastic-tracked visor housing, and the 3 ventilation holes in the shell.

The gold visor is not common indeed, and it's a shame it was broken. If I'm not mistaken it was meant to protect the pilot from a nuclear flash (I've seen a couple of these on German HGU-2A/P(G) on the European used market).

Hope you've got the MBU-5/P mask to go with it (straight "in-line" or T-bayonets would do).

Looking forward to seeing the updates on this cool restoration project :) .

-Gauthier

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Thanks tp fellow forum member 72psb (thanks Bob!), this helmet is ready for action again.    I cleaned the grime and sticky gunk off the visor cover and shell using Formula 409 and soft scrub bathroom cleaner for the harder spots.  I need to find a 1/2" wide Dymo tape gun to add the "Bonds" name back on the visor but other than that, she's looking good now:

g9BXZAJ.jpg

9nCf3m9.jpg

78yL0dA.jpg

HW53ABC.jpg

I was also fortunate to find an MBU-5/P mask with the "T" bayonets on eBay.  It's got a little corrosion I need to clean off before I marry it up to the helmet.

wZJd1zt.jpg

It's got a 62/63/64 date wheel on it which is perfect for this helmet.

5tM7Dlt.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'll be sure to post one more photo when I have the mask all cleaned up.

-Derek

Awesome ! Chinstrap, smoked visor, cross knob and mask are perfectly matching.

You also did a pretty good job cleaning it, congratulations, I'm looking forward to seeing more ! ;)

On a side note, given what looks like a remain of narrow rectangular-shaped adhesive on the back next to the destroyed Mfg. label, and the similarities with my S.A.C. HGU-2A/P of the same period, I guess a second "BONDS" nametape would be appropriate. See what you think !

HGU2.jpg.d066adc38bfac5972d32578d42266d09.jpg

-Gauthier

Fantastic clean up and rescue! I hope you find a way of salvaging the gold visor. You don't see those everyday........

As for 72psb, Kudos for pitching in! 🍻

Thanks again for the comments.  I am planning on adding the "BONDS" name tape in the future.

I wish there was a way to salvage the gold visor Wayward Son but it's broken completely in half :(  Those are rare birds and it makes it all the more sad...  How cool would that have looked on this helmet!?

I had some spare time this morning and I was able to gently clean and remove the bit of corrosion on the mask.  It's looking much better now:

CgH1fdy.jpg

And of course with the visor down:

jTwB3Kz.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!

-Derek