Hello from West Virignia

JacobB

Hello all! I am a 24-year-old and collector of all types of militaria from the Civil War to present. I do know most of my collection, but still have some things that I would love to learn more about. I hope to use this forum to use my expertise and also learn from others on what I have!

Welcome Jacob. My older brother's dad was on the USS West Virginia 79 years ago today when it was sunk at Pearl Harbor.

21 minutes ago, deddygetty said:

Welcome Jacob. My older brother's dad was on the USS West Virginia 79 years ago today when it was sunk at Pearl Harbor.

That's so interesting! Hoping he was one of the many to make it out okay. The mast and bell of the USS West Virginia is on the campus of West Virginia University, where I graduated in 2018. It is a very solemn spot on campus.

That's cool! Yes, he survived and was transferred to the USS Benham the next day. The Benham was torpedoed during the Battle of Guadalcanal and had the bow of the ship blown off. It continued to sail for 10 hours before rough seas caused the crew to abandon ship. He survived that one too.

Welcome from a fellow Mountaineer. Grew up in Morgantown, house was where the McDonalds is now in Evansdale. Family farm still in the family in Wyatt.

Had to move to Illinois. Miss the place everyday.

Enjoy your stay here.

Bob

Hookemhorns88

Welcome aboard.  I have spent a good deal of time in the past visiting the coal mines in WV around Charleston, St. Albans, Bluefield, etc.  Now that coal is not that big in that area I only make it up there every other year to catch the Longhorns versus the Mountaineers at Milan Puskar Stadium.