US Coastal Defenses of WWII

james127

Just made a trip out to Maine not too long ago. I'm an inland guy, so seeing some of the coastal fortifications on the East Coast was something completely new to me. On top of that, I was able to get access to a fort on a private island, which I don't think has been given much attention. Anyway, enjoy!

Compliments to you on another well done video tour! 

This may come of no surprise to you, but there are many sites around the coastal waters of the US mainland and Hawaii that are worth a visit.  They share a common strategic theme but each was uniquely designed to efficiently protect our harbors and critical waterways.

If you haven't heard of the Coast Defense Study Group, you may wish to check out their website for more interesting coast defense history and details.  Some of the content on the website can be accessed without CDSG membership.  https://cdsg.org/

Tom

On 12/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, T Ambrosini said:

Compliments to you on another well done video tour! 

This may come of no surprise to you, but there are many sites around the coastal waters of the US mainland and Hawaii that are worth a visit.  They share a common strategic theme but each was uniquely designed to efficiently protect our harbors and critical waterways.

If you haven't heard of the Coast Defense Study Group, you may wish to check out their website for more interesting coast defense history and details.  Some of the content on the website can be accessed without CDSG membership.  https://cdsg.org/

Tom

Thanks for that! I'm from the Midwest, so I have to admit that I was pretty ignorant of many of these fortifications. I've been learning a lot since that visit though and hope to visit some more for the channel in the future. Appreciate the resource.