44th Division SSIs

rtd_sf_eng

I started collecting the 44th Division shoulder patch after my Dad died in 1995.  He took his basic/AIT training at Fort Lewis, WA in 1944.  He was initially assigned to the 114th Infantry but when the unit departed, they arrived at Camp Kilmer, NJ,  they activated the 324th Infantry, which he became part of the unit.  He was wounded twice and the second injury landed him a boat trip back to the states.  These are a few of my 44th patches and last two were worn by my dad (one with and one with out the OD border).

Larry 

44th Inf Div, 0aF.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0bF.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0cF.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0d-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0e -F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0f -F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0g -F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 0h-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1a-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1b-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1d-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1e-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1g-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1h-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 1i-F.jpg

44th Inf Div, 2e-F.jpg

Here are two pictures of my dad while at Fort Lewis, and one before departing for England.  The third picture was taken after returning from Germany and released from Fletcher General Hospital.  The fourth picture is a colorized picture of the third picture.  On the second picture, note the 44th Division's yellow border on the right picture.

19430000 - 19440000  - Dad, PFC, at Ft Lewis, WA, 114th Inf, 44th Div-1a.jpg

19440000 - Dad, 114th Inf, 44th Div-1.jpg

19450000 - Dad, PFC, Post-WWII, 324th Inf, 44th Inf Div-1.jpg

19450000 - Dad, PFC, Post-WWII, 324th Inf, 44th Inf Div-2.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Very nice collection of 44th div patches. The one marked oh-f reminds me of the German made constabulary patches. Nice tribute to your dad

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

It is an unusual very early subdued patch.  I would like to know when it was actually made and the reason for the subdued colors.

BILL THE PATCH

It wasn't meant to be subdued, might be a unit within the 44th. It's looks pre ww2 also. Maybe someone definitely knows.

5 hours ago, rtd_sf_eng said:

It is an unusual very early subdued patch.  I would like to know when it was actually made and the reason for the subdued colors.

The 44th Infantry Division was inactivated right after Korean War service as a stateside training division (Ft Lewis) rtd, its finally reactivated now, reactivated in 2017 as the 44th Infantry Brigade Combat Team NJNG.

Like Bill The Patch put forth,"It wasn't meant to be subdued", my question is would this be that faded or something? A manufacture error?

24 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

It actually looks like it may be dirty.

My thoughts as well, also when wet I’m sure that felt soaks off the uniform color.